Casper129's Basement Finishing Project Thread... - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Casper129's Basement Finishing Project Thread...

So today I started working on our basement.. The wife and I are hoping to have it completed before the baby comes in Jan. of 2012.. (Very Ambitious..) I figured I would start this thread for you guys to comment on my progress, and any suggestions will be welcome, and taken into consideration.. I'll start out with here is what I did today:

Took out part of the wall to open up the stairway..

Put up 2" XPS and I am building the wall out of 2x6 top plate and 2x4 PT bottom plate with Poly Sill Seal under it, with regular 2x4 studs.

What my plans are for fireblocking:

With the top plate being a 2x6...

I have it almost against the cement foundation..

I left this small gap between the 2x6 and the XPS, in which I will spray Great Stuff Fireblocking Foam..

Is that an acceptable method? Thoughts? Comments? I also thought I would mention, we plan on putting in a drop ceiling.. so would I have to actually have fireblocking lower, where the drop ceiling starts?

I know I have to fireblock every 10 feet side to side, so I figure at the end of that 10 foot chunk of wall, I will cut a 1" slice out of the XPS and put in a sheet of drywall thick enough to go to the cement, and foam it with the great stuff fireblock spray.. Again, acceptable?

This is my first time doing anything like this, but I am fairly capable at it (I think) The basement will be completely rewired, so try not to pay attention to the wires I will try to keep this thread current, as I am always looking for insight from people more professional at it than myself. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by casper129; 07-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

are permits required?

Advertisement

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Yes, they are required with any kind of remodel/renovation like this. Whether the homeowner decides to get a permit or not, is out of my control. I personally will not be pulling permits.. but I do want everything (mostly) to be up to code.. especially the fire-blocking, for safety's sake.

Last edited by casper129; 07-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Do I have this in the wrong place for asking questions? Over 1,000 views, and only 1 other person made a comment? I thought I could get a lot of help here, but I can't wait three days to figure out what to do with my predicament..
Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129
So today I started working on our basement.. The wife and I are hoping to have it completed before the baby comes in Jan. of 2012.. (Very Ambitious..) I figured I would start this thread for you guys to comment on my progress, and any suggestions will be welcome, and taken into consideration.. I'll start out with here is what I did today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
Yes, they are required with any kind of remodel/renovation like this. Whether the homeowner decides to get a permit or not, is out of my control. I personally will not be pulling permits.. but I do want everything (mostly) to be up to code.. especially the fire-blocking, for safety's sake.
??? In the first post you mentioned that this is your house. Anyway, keep posting progress pictures. You're off to a good start!
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #6

Yes, this is my house.. but I had a hard time figuring out why someone would really ask if permits were required, when it's fairly common knowledge that almost ANY kind of remodeling on a house requires a permit... Then I said "Whether the homeowner (namely Joetab [since he asked about it]) decides to get a permit or not..." But I will personally not be pulling a permit.

I have a question about sealing the bottom of the 2" XPS - Would a regular silicone caulking work.. and how do you guys get the XPS to stick to the wall well? I can move one of my sheets after two days of letting the glue dry. I used PL300 and it's almost like it's wet yet... (Basement is completely dry, with a dehumid. running at 45% rel) ...
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
Do I have this in the wrong place for asking questions?
Generally people post pictures and stories in here in the "Project Showcase".

If you want to do Q&A it's probably better to post in one of the other forums - maybe "remodelling"?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #8

^ Alright, thanks for pointing me in that direction
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

In response to the inquiry you sent, I think your fireblocking plan is spot-on.

Your plan to not get a permit and have your work double checked by a professional...Not so spot-on.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
coderguy (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Termite - I'm only choosing not to get a permit because we do have professionals in the family. The building part I'm not to worried about, as I think I can work my way though it with the help of this website The electrical, I'm fairly confident about.. but I will have it double checked by a state licensed electrician, which is my wife's uncle.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

Brought some more stuff home today so I can keep working on my basement

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #12

Where I am today...

More Progress...

The Following User Says Thank You to casper129 For This Useful Post:
shumakerscott (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Nice. Can you explain a little more about what you are using for the floor. Maybe Im not keeping up with all new products out there
quiksheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #14

The flooring is a product called "Platon" that they sell at Menards. It's the same product (basically) as Delta-FL that they would sell at Lowes. It's basically a cheaper alternative to Dri Core. I laid down landscaping fabric first, that way in case my floor is off level by a little bit, the plastic of the Platon won't make an audible "click" when walking on the flooring. I have only read about other people's floors having this issue, so I only did it to prevent any future problems. Then once I get all of the Platon laid down, I seal it to my bottom plate with Great Stuff, and then lay my 3/4" T&G Subfloor down on it. I am placing 8 tapcon screws on each 4x8 sheet of subfloor to hold is all in place.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,342

Any new updates?

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote