Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Share |

Carport Wall-in and Remodel

Hello all,
First post here!

The wife and I just bought a house... and are looking to do some remodel. Existing home is only 784 sq. feet. Here's a rough sketch of the house as is now:

We wish to wall-in the carport, and add several hundred square feet. Here's a sketch of how we wish to change it to:

The pluses: It's slab on grade, which extends all the way across the carport. The roof also fully covers the carport. So neither hopefully needs changing.

The existing bathroom stays exactly the same as you see in the first sketch. We would be looking to add a bathroom next to it for the new master bedroom.
I understand that the hardest part of the project is likely the new second bathroom, as would require cutting into the concrete slab to run plumbing. In addition, believe that the old circuit breaker likely needs upgrading.

I'd very much welcome any feedback, suggestions, or advice. If anyone has an idea what they think such a project might cost (assuming i do some myself, such as a lot of the finishing work, painting, flooring, etc), i'd appreciate that as well!

T

gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

Carport Wall-in and Remodel

Need some real pictures of what's there now.
May have to build up to 5 post before adding pictures.
Before doing anything your going to need to check with the health dept., zoning and building dept. to see if it would even be allowed.
Some issues with these conversions is typically, no footings under the new walls, if the slabs to low or the slab extends beyond where the walls need to go waters going to come in under the walls and any siding would be to low unless you build a knee wall out of block.
No vapor barrier or insulation under the slab.
As far as prices, no one here or on any web site should quoting prices, way to many variables. A "ball park" figure does no one any good.