Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Share |

Bungalow- Two New Stories From Design To Build

I bought my ranch style bungalow 12 years ago. I guess its ranch because there were two wagon wheels incorporated into the front railing of the porch.

This house, built in 1967 came with an oil burning furnace, electric water heater, a lousy roof, a crumbling chimney with a fried liner, a driveway made of asphalt, cement, and pavers and leaking foundation walls. Whoops, I almost forgot about the carport that was nailed to the side of the house and fell down on my work's pickup truck.

A few more pics. Oh yeah, gotta love the aluminum siding.

These two pics are before the waterproofing took place. If you look closely, you can see some "shiney" aluminum siding between the left two windows. I bent those up at work after I walked in the house to find the bathroom window in the tub. Sweet surprise.

I almost forgot to mention walking in the yard and seeing icicles about a foot long sticking out of the house below that fancy siding I made. A whole washroom renovation happened starting the next day. Nice.

If you notice the pic above, the new chimney is crooked at the top. Hire an ex drinking buddy to do a job like this and you too can get similar results.

123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

The garage in the background is the only thing I like about my property other than all the trees around. I'm right on a main street and the traffic noise drowns out some of my hobby noise from the garage which is mostly banging around on my hot rod project. I guess there's three good things.

I replaced the oil tank with a brand spanking beautiful 14 ga unit. Two years later my insurance company asks for pics of the tag on the tank. Apparently, the company that made my ULC approved tank had been having leaks and that meant changing over to gas once and for all. Some guys are dumb, but I'm dumber. A new chimney, liner, oil tank, roof and who knows what will be next.

Only one thing to do since I got the foundation fixed is to knock down the whole house except the foundation and first floor floor joists.

Remember, I am dumber, so that means I will be renovating with existing furnace and plumbing services in place. I've got a floor plan done for both new floors keeping in mind where the plumbing and heating are coming from. This working around existing conditions will come back to bite me for sure. Remember when everything goes wrong after the frame is up that you heard it here first.

Edit: Just had to add this pic from when we were running the gas line to the garage. Apparently, my backyard was an old mine or something. Check out the rail car tracks underground:

Last edited by 123pugsy; 01-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

I'm posting pics taken from my computer screen autocad drawings. I can't find a way to convert the drwgs to PDF using Autocad 2000.
Edit: Pics have been changed to images pulled from the the CAD drawings.

The house is 44' x 26'. Not too big but should be fine with 2 floors and the basement.

Existing floor plan:

Existing basement:

Last edited by 123pugsy; 01-25-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: EDIT FLOOR PLAN
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

My house just happens to be in a Heritage zone so I must design it to look somewhat historical. With the rectangular footprint, a farmhouse style home should work.

Since my budget is limited and I like to do things myself, I'm doing these drawings myself using autocad. Its pretty amazing what you can learn from YouTube these days.

Looking west:

Looking south:

Looking East:

Looking north:

Last edited by 123pugsy; 01-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Here is the proposed ground floor plan:

My buddy doesn't like the fact that the front door just opens up to the kitchen/dining area. Please feel free to comment.

The side door has been moved to the back. It gives me a nice short walk to the garage. You know, a hot rod guy needs to be close to his honey, right?

The wife insisted on a main floor office for herself. I get to put my desk beside the washroom. On the bright side, it is close to the garage.

The heat registers in the drawings are in the existing locations for reference.

Last edited by 123pugsy; 01-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Proposed second floor plan showing four bedrooms, ensuite washroom and a sitting area at the top of the stairs.

The heat registers in these drawings are proposed. I haven't done a heat loss calculation or consulted with an HVAC engineer yet.

Last edited by 123pugsy; 01-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

boy thats one heck of a project. Best of luck to you, ill keep an eye on your progress
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Thanks.

I'm still working on the drawings, researching everything from footings to flashings to drip edges. I started about five years ago and then pushed it aside thinking I would just move but the wife likes the school in our area, so we're stuck here for at least 6 more years.

Looks like you're into a fun one yourself with that trailer.
I will keep checking in when you update.
Watch out for the spiders.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'm posting pics taken from my computer screen autocad drawings. I can't find a way to convert the drwgs to PDF using Autocad 2000.
ALT-PrintScrn while AutoCAD is in the foreground, then pasting into any image program would have worked. Or just PrintScrn, then cropping out your Start menu.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
ALT-PrintScrn while AutoCAD is in the foreground, then pasting into any image program would have worked. Or just PrintScrn, then cropping out your Start menu.
Thankyou.

I googled PrintScrn (because I didn't even know it was a keyboard key) along with autocad 2000 and found the BMPOUT command. This gave me a BITMAP image which I converted to JPEG using Paint.

Anyhow, your advise took me on a tangent that helped me figure out how to get images from the Cad program.

Thanks again,
Pugsy
Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

I give you credit, that's gonna be a boat load of work (titanic is a boat right?). I do agree with your friend a front door opening into a dining room is slightly weird. I'll have to think about it a little and get back to you
kickarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarse View Post
I give you credit, that's gonna be a boat load of work (titanic is a boat right?). I do agree with your friend a front door opening into a dining room is slightly weird. I'll have to think about it a little and get back to you
Thanks for the comments.

A ton of work for sure but I'm a sucker for punishment.

I may have no choice with the entry door. After setting the dining table in place, I may get a better idea. I may be able to add something there later.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Still working on the design. The white board and batton on the ends of the house and the dormer make for alot of extra work for myself. If I brick the whole house, the extra work just gets pushed to the brick layer and looks more period correct.

Comments anyone?

Front with B&B:

Front with all brick:

Front with all brick, revised window and soldier coarse:

RHS with B&B at top:

RHS with all brick:
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

One more idea. Added an attic window:
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #15

Never mind the house for a minute...we'll get back to that later.

Fill me in on the hotrod!!!

cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote