had a very dissapointing weekend- Woke up friday morning and the top layer of bituthene was peeling and rolling up. That and it had air buble and pockets all over it. When i ran out of gracie bituthene the same store said they cant get that brand but this stuff was even better. Well i guess not cause after one day it looked like this.
Luckly my wife has fridays off and another contractor supply store had the gracie brand in stock. A two hour drive later and atleast we had the material to try and get the mortar bed done. At noon i get a call from the tile guy. "this pallet of deck mud is bottoming out my work van suspension, do you think you could come get it" They close at three so I ended up taking a half day- renting a uhaul and picking up the supplies. I also drug home a man lift from my shop. After weighing all the options I cut down a fence we plan on replacing in teh future. Everything was going good until she slipped off the ramps. By this time it was around 8pm, i had a 6k lb man lift stuck on the levy, peeling bituthene and still had to truck 65 50lb bags of deck mud into the back yard and head back to town to return a uhaul.
i called a bunch of freinds and told them i had beer. Two trucks, a bunch of ratchet straps, a floor jack, a come along and a 2x6 1/6 wall steel tube we got her out.
that left me with the rest of the night to peel up bad bituthene and get the new stuff down by 6am for the tile guy to lay his mortar bed. If youve never worked with this stuff let me tell you- its unreal how well it sticks. The bad areas where water could leak still stuck so well it was pulling up plies of wood.
Fast forward to sat i return the uhaul get back after ordering slate and they have floated a 2 inch mortar bed instead of one inch. Also it looks really dry to me, Almost the consistancy of wet sand. Im hoping someone can confirm from these pics that it was mixed right or that im screwed and need to figure something out.