Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

"The Beginning"

"The Beginning" is just what my current project is. "The Beginning"

You see, my project is to take my small property from a flat, desolate, piece of earth, and make it a home. Not just ANY HOME, but a home my husband and I can spend the rest of our lives in. A home that is full of the things WE love. Nothing fancy, rather small, but very much able to handle the way we want our home to work.

First Project
To begin, I have to START with the Garage that sits in the middle of the property.

It's a 12 x 32 Garage filled to the roof, and wall to wall, with "stuff" LOTS of "Stuff".

"The Beginning"

On Monday, January 4, 2010 I met with my brother and his friend at our storage unit to size up the space for all of the garage contents, and for them to empty the truck, the FIRST LOAD from the garage. It didn't take long to see, that we were going to need a lot more space. While they unpacked the truck, I ran to the office and rented an additional 10 x 20 storage unit. With that, and a 8 X 16 unit, we are hopeful that it will be enough.

From there it was back to the garage. I walked in and it was AAAHHHH where in the world are we going to put the contents of the LOFTS!! THIS was much larger than I thought. "WE WILL COPE" is all that I could think.

After getting over the shock, I did begin to see myself starting on my project, and the first thing I thought of, was Insulation, Owens Corning of course, Man was it cold in there.

However before I could even think of that, I had to get the garage empty, so that it could be moved to the back of the property, onto the new foundation, that is being considered as I write this. This will make room for the footings for our new home.

ONE INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT THIS PROJECT IS,

The garage will become "Our Home" for about 6 months while our home is being built, so this is NOT your standard fixer upper.

It has to be "Tight" and although small, must be as much of a REAL home as possible.

After many truckloads of "stuff" we parted for the day with a new agenda, a longer moving schedule.

We meet again on Friday, and Saturday, depending on work schedules, but definitely on Saturday for a full 8-10 hours.

After 10 years of dreaming about this, it is finally,

"THE BEGINNING"
Attached Images

Sheila4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,004

"The Beginning"

I will be following this one. Box the garage door off that's for sure. They leak. I take it that you are not building your house DIY? 6 months is a pretty short schedule. I'm 2 years into mine and I'm not sure when it will be livable. Good luck! dorf dude...

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
DIYer

"The Beginning"

That hardly looks like a "flat, desolate, piece of earth." I'm quite jealous. Those trees are priceless.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,094

"The Beginning"

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress in this thread too. We want a lot of pictures plus lots and lots of details.

When my brothers started gutting and remodeling my mom's 1895 farm house, we took a lot of pictures. I made a big scrapbook with all the pictures and details that we could remember.

You'll have this thread to look back on and remember how everything progressed.

Thanks for sharing this with us and the best of luck to you and your husband.

Remember to always expect the unexpected.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

"The Beginning"

Oops, I should have mentioned that we will be LIVING in it full time, the LAST 6 months of the project. I'm quite sure that it will take longer, but it's a pretty standard 32 x 32 Cape Cod model home, with extensions TO FOLLOW. Including the remodeled garage as an office in the rear of the house. We will be moving the windows, the front door, and will close in the garage door for sure. Way too cold here to leave it in.

I will be posting the DIY part I play in the building, AFTER I finish posting the DIY Garage Project. The only thing we will not be Doing ourselves is, moving the garage.

You can see why I call this "The Beginning" project.

I only wonder if it will be done by 2020 !!!!!!!!!!

As far as the trees go, the photo is deceiving, there is actually only one of those trees on the home property. The rest are on the property next to it. I just purchased it, but can't combine them.

I love trees, but am not too fond of these, they drop stuff all over the place. and bugs like them.

I plan to plant lots of trees here, and not the itty bitty type, I want HUGE trees, and this time, I will have them. I can't wait 15 years to enjoy a tree anymore. Been there, done that. Not this time.

I sure can't wait to get that garage empty, it's been so long.

OH! and my 4 children have been warned, that if their tons of "Stuff" isn't OUT of the garage by Friday, it's TRASH, it's GONE. Last warning!

Out of my way, I'm on a roll!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #6

"The Beginning"

You go girl! Can feel, already, that this IS the beginning of one INCREDIBLE story. I'm hooked; your writing skills are splendidly spellbinding!

Good luck, God Bless & Happy New Year!
Lali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

"The Beginning"

Lali,
You are SSSOOOO kind. Actually, I have no writing skills at all, and it takes all the nerve in the world to come in here and write about my projects. It was always my poorest class in school, OH, OK, maybe not JUST writing, maybe it was History, ..........mmmm then there was Biology, and........Never mind. Did I mention that I hated school?

Right now I'm sitting at my desk, looking at piles and piles of "stuff" right here in my living room, and they are yelling at me to get up and get busy.
Of course I pay no attention to them, even though I also have the boxes to put the "stuff" in, I'm fighting ANYTHING that takes my mind off of my garage.

I'm on a roll, and I WILL NOT GIVE UP until that "Beast" is empty.

OK, OK, it's just that I don't want to box it up yet. I just got over 20 strawberry plants, and I want to play with them. No, I don't have any room for them in this messed up living room, but hey, I'm retired, my kids are grown, they are gone, so I can do whatever I want! Right? Right?

OK, I will clean up the living room, and I will stack the boxes like a good little (ha ha) girl. But I refuse to LIKE IT.

All is OK though, my next haul out is Friday or Saturday, so I'm calm now.

See, I knew I had to keep my mind on the GARAGE.

Thank you for your kind words, and even though I don't deserve them, I do hope you continue to cheer me on, because otherwise, I will be a total nutcase by the time I get to actually start making our garage our temporary home.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

"The Beginning"

Well, The guys went down to the garage on Friday, and got a huge amount of stuff out of it. They passed on going today, but will be back at it on Monday. By then they should know if they still need another day, or will be able to finish it.

I have been looking at insulation, and the products available for those small leak spaces. I plan on picking up the insulation this week, but could use some suggestions on what to use in those small spaces around outside electric fixtures etc.

Time to get busy on what is going into this space too.

Closets, flooring, storage cabinets, Pantry, etc.

Although I won't be making all of these cabinets myself, I will most likely be using the ones that I will have to put together myself.

My "Project" part of the room isn't in yet, so I won't have any heavy tools until that part is finished.

Supposed to go down and take some photos tomorrow, can't wait to see how much is done.

I bet it's wreck I LOVE IT!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #9
Dorf dude...

"The Beginning"

Get a DIY Spray Foam kit. That will be the most effective IMO. dorf dude...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 AM   #10

"The Beginning"

Sheila - yer welcome & you do deserve words of praise! And Yup, Yup, Yup! you can do whatever you want, whenever you want & however you want once the 'darlings' have grown up & are moved out. It's a tough role to slide gently into 'enjoy' mode, when ya bin runnin' around like a chicken with yer head cut off for 20 some years. Right? Right! It's funny how we humans hang on to years & years worth of material 'stuff'; thinking our kids would like to have it one day. Then, when it comes down to the crunch, they either don't want it or haven't got the space for it!!! That was the case with mine NEwayz.

Much admiration for building your own cabinets.

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #11

"The Beginning"

First, I have been looking at foam, because I have used it before, however, I don't really like what I read about it these days. BUT, I do also have to say that it really works great. SSOOOO I'm sure I'm going to use it.

Lali, Actually I think we deserve a metal, and Solid Gold too! for raising children that is. As far as the "Stuff" goes, the things I have of theirs, it's junk they put into the garage and NEVER took it out. So far, today being the last day, no one has picked up their stuff, so tomorrow it all goes out.

I have been through so many moves in the last few years I let go of everything years ago. With the exception of tons of paperwork and my own special things. Most of what is in there today will be tossed as soon as I can go through it. When I say "The Beginning" I really mean it.

My husband had heart surgery, and multiple mini strokes in 1996 and ended up having to retire because of his disabilities in 2000.

We went from a 2500 sq ft home, and a great job, to a one room motel, and living on $244.00 a week. Of which $140.00 a week was room rental.
(for 1 year)

If that doesn't cure you of needing things, nothing will.

We had it all, and overnight it was gone. My only prayer was that I get to keep my husband, and all the rest can go............. and it did!

Thank you Lord! I Would not change a thing.

THAT is why this is so important for us today, My husband needs care, and I've been waiting 14 years to be able to have a home again, one that I can care for him in, and pay cash as we build it.

It really is "The Beginning"

"The New Beginning"
Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Dorf dude...

"The Beginning"

Go for it. You can build it. It might not be perfect but it will work. Just ask questions. If you have to hire some one then don't and find out how to do it your self. Good luck and I'm following along. dorf dude...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #13

"The Beginning"

shumakerscott,
Will do! I will be doing as many of the jobs as I can possibly do, MYSELF.

I haven't mentioned that I'm handicapped too, not all the time, but in spurts. I shattered my ankle years ago, and sometimes I can't walk, but most often I'm able to do almost anything. Including taking down the heaviest kitchen cabinets in the world, alone BIG MISTAKE!
Thank God that my husband was driving up the driveway when I found out just how heavey they were. He ran in and saved me, and the kitchen floor.

Right now my husband can't do anything to help, so I'm on my own for sure. I don't mind that at all, it just takes a lot longer that way. I figure this is an ongoing job, and I plan to put in whatever time it takes to do it myself. No matter how long. Time is no longer an issue.

I trust that everyone here can help me, so I'm much more confident than I was even a month ago.

With a lot of patience, Everyone's help, and a lot of time, I know WE can get there.

One other thing, I downloaded a Owens Corning guide and boy have things changed! They have so many more items than they did years ago. The guide is really nice, and seems to give me a lot of information about things that are new to me. I just love it when a product gives you guides and information. Corning is the only insulation I have used before, so any additional information would be helpful.

Insulating, and sealing any cracks will be the first part of the job, so I will be starting there.

Tomorrow is the day I "size up" the job. If it is fully emptied out, I can start on the leaks then, if not, I will at least get an idea of just what exactly is needed. Things I may have missed.

I'll also get to take some pictures tomorrow.

"The New Beginning" photos.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #14

"The Beginning"

I didn't sleep one wink last night, and today I helped move at least one ton of "stuff" from the garage. It's STILL not finished. You never know just how much you have, until it's time to move it. WOW am I ever ready to drop.

The one thing I'm mad about is, I got so involved in the packing, that I forgot to take photos! My one real "To Do" thingie, and I missed it. I hope to be able to go down again tomorrow too.

Boy those garage walls look so much bigger now. 32 feet of empty wall space looks like a lot more wall, when it's there staring at you.

At least all of my Christmas items are out of the loft, and stored, along with the other Christmas boxes.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some foam insulation, so that I can get at least 2 1/2 walls sealed up.

I DO have my work table in place, and it sure feels good after so long.

Now, if I can just crawl out of bed and still walk tomorrow, I will be there with bells on, camera in hand, ready to get a shot of those walls.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #15

"The Beginning"

Anticipation insomnia, understandable. Have you been hibernating, too? Or just in burn out mode following the chaos of Christmas??? Think I've been doin' a little bit of both! Did you get any of your insulation done? Look forward to seeing your progress. Blessings!

Last edited by Lali; 02-02-2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: missed a space!