We have an itty-bitty bungalow with teeny-tiny rooms. One of those rooms was our "master" bedroom.
I don't remember the dimensions... maybe 8.5 x 10.5?
At any rate, our king-sized bed barely fit in the space, as you can see in the photo above. Why do we have a bed that large? Got me!! It fit nicely in our previous condo... and it's comfy! I know... looks kinda lousy in this pic, but it's hard to make a bed when it's shoved in a corner!!
So our goal was to make this room a little bit bigger by removing the closets and moving a wall. Here's a rough (demensions aren't accurate) drawing of the space.
The space designated "dining room" in the drawing above was actually the larger of two bedrooms. But this house didn't have a dining room AND I wanted the dining room to connect in some way with the living room AND I didn't want our bedroom at the front of the house... hence this plan. The red walls in the drawing are the orignial bedroom walls, framing in the closets. The black line to the right of the red lines is the new wall we built. (all work permitted, by the way).
Here's a photo of the opening created between the living room and the dining room... and the framing for our new wall:
Then came the tear-out of our bedroom... what a mess!! Plaster & lath dust everywhere!!!
As with most older homes out there (ours is 70 years old), there was no insulation in the walls... so of course we added it. The "H" you see on the floor is where the old walls were.
We also took the opportunity to have all the knob & tube wiring in the room removed and replaced. It was the last in the house... it's all gone now!
More on next post...