Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Renovation

I was in the process of renovating my downstairs living room when a slight sag in the ceiling under my upstairs shower caused me to want to take a closer look. Upon opening up the ceiling, I found that the shower had been leaking for a long time, so I stopped with the living room remodel and began the bathroom. Here are the progress photos. I started in July 2009 and finished on Christmas Eve. (I promised my wife I'd be done by Christmas)
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-img018.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img039.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img041.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img040.jpg  

knighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Bathroom Renovation

When I opened up the walls around the shower, I found moldy nasty wood that had been soaked for a long time. I killed the mold, let it dry for a while and reinforced the framing of the floor and walls. I lost a couple of inches in my shower, but this seemed to be the best way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-img021.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img015.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img023.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img016.jpg  

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

Bathroom Renovation

I had to replace the shower valve with a new Delta. I decided to raise shower head up from 72 to 82 inches so that I wouldn't have to duck down to get my hair wet.

I had to replace my old cast iron drain with a PVC drain and trap. I wanted to move it in the center of the shower floor, but is a floor joist was in the way.

I constructed my a typical shower pan with felt, mesh, preslope, PVC liner and final mud bed. I used the Kirb Perfect kit for both the pre-slope and final slope along with the weep hole protector. That kit made it so much easier to get the required slope. I recommend it to anyone doing it themselves. Also recommend getting extra pieces as I felt I didn't have enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-img025.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img029.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img027.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-img028.jpg  

Last edited by knighton; 12-30-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Bathroom Renovation

I picked out a vanity that is 48inches with the sink in the center. I had to move my lavatory drain, cold and hot water over a few inches.

There wasn't enough drop from the old drain to the stack. So I made sure I got the right drop for the new drain to drain properly. When I removed the old copper drain, it was full of sediment that hadn't drained out due to the incorrect drop. I'm actually surprised the old sink drained as well as it did.

While I had the wall open, I decided to run some additional power outlets to the other side of where the vanity is.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-dsc01692.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-dsc01693.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-dsc01695.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Bathroom Renovation

Lets see the final pics!
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Bathroom Renovation

Went a little crazy with RotoZip the drywall for plumbing and boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-dsc01696.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-dsc01698.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-dsc01699.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #7

Bathroom Renovation

Heres the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-bathroom-door.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-ceiling.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-corner-shower.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-full-view.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-shower-floor-shower.jpg  

Bathroom Renovation-shower-full.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #8

Bathroom Renovation

More final shots
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Renovation-shower.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-vanity.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-shwoer-floor.jpg   Bathroom Renovation-window.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,002

Bathroom Renovation

Knight,
It sure turned out nice. Good thing you took the before and after pics.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #10

Bathroom Renovation

Thanks Mike. I've done some other projects that I haven't taken before pics of and I've regretted it. The only pictures I didn't take were those of the floor and some additional progress photos. I want them more for myself that anything.

Looking at the before photos after you've finished makes that extra money you spent on a project a little more justified.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Bathroom Renovation

Wow.. looks great... can I ask about the piece on top of the vanity (the mirror/shelving unit)... custom, DIY or stock? Its a nice feature.
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Renovation

That turned out GREAT!

I've done the whole not taking before pics and am absolutely peeved with myself. Good move.

BTW, I'm sure that old bathroom was real nice some time ago, just not sure how long ago that was !
295yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #13

Bathroom Renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDIY View Post
Wow.. looks great... can I ask about the piece on top of the vanity (the mirror/shelving unit)... custom, DIY or stock? Its a nice feature.
Thanks for the compliment.

I ordered the vanity and hutch online from Sams Club. I was looking for a vanity with a medicine cabinet or something with some storage because I removed the cabinet. My wife found this and we bought online it site unseen other than an online photo. It turned out to be nicer that we expected, very well-built and very heavy.

I found out after I bought it that the lights on the hutch had to be plugged in to an outlet and there was no switch on the hutch. So I added a plug to an already existing light switch (formerly used for the vanity light) and it worked great. I think I posted a picture of that.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #14

Bathroom Renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295yards View Post
That turned out GREAT!

I've done the whole not taking before pics and am absolutely peeved with myself. Good move.

BTW, I'm sure that old bathroom was real nice some time ago, just not sure how long ago that was !
I bet they thought that was the cats a$$ at the time. The home was built in 1964. The other upstairs bathroom has a yellow theme going on. I've got two more rooms to tackle before I get to that bathroom, but I'll sure be glad to get the 1960's out of my house for good.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Renovation

I was hoping that never came off ofeensive, but the difference is night and day.

I hope you did ALL the work yourself,,,, again' looks real good!

295yards is offline   Reply With Quote