Bathroom Fan Project - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Bathroom fan project

Started on the installation of an inline bathroom fan, first time I do a project to this extent. I could have just changed the fan itself and kept the housing, but I don't like how most bathroom fans are quiet for about the first month and get very noisy, and eventually die. That, and the location of the vent was on top of my other roof causing ice buildup in winter.

Due to mobility/space constraints in the attic, I was unable to vent in the other soffit and through the roof would cause condensation to build up inside the pipe even if it's well insulated. (hot moist air meeting cold air inside the pipe).

So ended up venting in the basement.

Not quite done yet, still need to rent a 4" hole saw to do the hole in my basement wall, and run the pipe, and there's also some drywall patching to do, and also a leak in the attic where some attic air gets sucked in, which in result lowers the performance of the vent in the washroom.

I ran a test by making the shower go at a temp I normally take mine at, and closed the door. No fog on the mirror with the fan on (a lot when it was off). I raised the water temp even more, and it started to fog up a bit, but when I stopped it, the fog was going away pretty fast. That's with the door closed, with my old fan I used to take my shower with the door open as it could not keep up anymore and the mirror still fogged up.

I love how quiet this is now, all I hear is the sound of air flowing through. It currently vents right in the basement, until I can run the rest of the duct. I like the idea of the fan being in the basement though, as it enables me to be able to service/maintain it if needed, without going in that attic.

Anyway, here are some pics so far: (easier to just link to the gallery, will add more once I'm done)

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/?level=album&id=31

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom fan project

Lookin' good! Glad it worked for you..... I had to put one in my 1/2 bath that will hardly ever/never get used....
It'll be inspected today. *wish me luck!*

DM

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Bathroom fan project

Sounds like it's moving enough air. The important thing is to leave it on longe enough after a shower to take the moisture out. That where timer switch on the fan is a big help.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

Yep I will be getting a timer switch for it too. This fan is actually capable of being used for continuous use but that would be a big heat loss, so what I'll probably do is set it to 1 hour when I first turn it on, then just let it run till the end after I'm done my shower, toiletry and all.

Will also be great for when I go for a #2. Get rid of the hazardous odor faster.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

Finally got around to making the hole for the vent. Bigger job then I expected, and still need to patch it up, but now it's done. Next time I might contract something like this out to someone that has the proper tools such as a hole saw. Will take that person 15 minutes instead of like 3 hours it took me.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom fan project

Thank you for the great pictures! what model fan did you use?

Thanks again
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

I used the Nutone ILFK120. I posted a video of it here before installing it:

I saw another video of a FanTech fan and it looked exactly the same, so my suspicion is that it's actually made by FanTech and just rebranded.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

This is finally complete, other then having to paint the part I patched in the washroom, but the fan itself is 100% fully functional, and now venting outside through a dryer vent.

Today I completed the rest of the duct run. Was my first time working with ducting pipe, was fairly easy, but I did not have to crimp anything, either. I don't have a crimper tool so I was planning to use the vice clamp in the garage with a nail, would have been a long process.

Actually just realized those pics were taken before I tapped all the seams.

Now that the run is complete, the fan is even MORE quiet. With the dehumidifier on I can't even hear it.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 10-01-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

Painted the ceiling today, this wraps up this project. Took much longer then I figured and was more work then I figured it nonetheless was successful and it works great. I like to turn it on sometimes just for fun because I can't believe how quiet it is.

Also installed a timer switch the other day.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom fan project

Looks, great! Quick question, so that vent vents down into the basement, then outside? have you had any problems with that at all?
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Bathroom fan project

Fantech recommends that when condensation is possible and FR series fan units are installed horizontally (as at your installation) they be 1) insulated or 2) provided with a drain system.

In your installation condensaton that occurs upstream of the fan may run down the duct and into the fan housing, so I would watch carefully for evidence of such problems and install a drain if required.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Bathroom fan project

So far it's been running smoothly with no issues. I was scared I may get moisture issues with the outside vent just because it was my first time doing anything involving something going through an outside wall but it has proven good with all the rain we've had.

I also thought about the possible condensation issue and water accumulating inside the fan housing. To help prevent that, I installed a cleanout right before the fan, so if any water actually accumulates inside the pipe it should drip into there before hitting the fan. I figured if it would actually fill up, then I could always add a small condensate drain or something, but it only gets a little wet with tiny droplets, not more then that.

I still can't get over how quiet this setup is though. I'd recommend a setup like this any time over a conventional fan. Of course, much easier to do if your attic access is better then mine.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Bathroom fan project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Id recommend a setup like this any time over a conventional fan.
Agreed.... so much so that I the three in my own house, each serving multiple inlets in individual bathrooms.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote