Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement shop

I run a little woodworking business out of my garage, specializing in custom turkey calls and duck calls. The amount of tools and materials has completely outgrown my two car garage, plus my wife is putting the pressure on me to give her the garage for parking and the kids' junk.

So, my current project is "finishing" off my unfinished basement which has historically been a big crap collector. I've basically cut the basement in half and left the other half for storage.

Here's what I'm dealing with now in the garage..........

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (03-08-2010), frenchelectrican (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

Basement shop

Here's the "new" space thus far. Basically just framed walls, a framed soffit to cover the ductwork and beam, and a grid ceiling. Nowhere near completed yet, but it is starting to take shape.

Approximately 670 square feet...26x24' of room for me to spread out my tools and projects.

I'll post pics as it slowly evolves.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement shop-img_1122.jpg   Basement shop-img_1124.jpg   Basement shop-img_1125.jpg   Basement shop-img_1127.jpg  

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Basement shop

That look pretty nice there with tools however one thing it got my attetion which I never see trileg stand on the planer and I have simauir planer as you have but the table saw it the excat the same but only diffrence between your and mine table saw due mine is allready wired for 3 phase supply { I have 3 phase supply in my French home }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

Basement shop

Good eye Marc. That is actually a scroll saw stand I retrofitted to hold the portable planer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

Basement shop

You are going to have that space filled up in a hurry. Looks good--will you leave your wood storage in the old shop?

Wood storage always eats up the wall space.My dream shop would be a free standing building.
Just a dream--I like the work you've done.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Basement shop

Oh by the way instead of edit my last posting let me expand little more here I do have a serious shop back in Wisconsin the shop size is 40 by 70 feet with 16 foot ceiling and it plenty big you can able drive the full sized semi truck inside the shop if need to due I have pair of 14X14 foot overhead doors on each end.

but one corner of my shop it have enclosed contrete wall that house my generators { I have two generators and both are diesel units } and when they are runnning ya just barely heard them running and both are very slow speed engines the larger one run only 600 T/min while smaller one run at 900 T/min and both can able start with either hand or electric or air start one of three ways I can spin it up.

As far for my shop power it have 400 amp 3 Phase supply { 480Y277 volts } { the reason with that voltage level due it a commercal poperty so I can able snag much higher voltage otherwise 208Y120 I can able get it as well }

one wall I have workbench set up so I can do multi task repair there plus I have office in there as well.

my next step is set up a overhead crane so I can pick up a bit hevier loads beside fool around with my forklift truck { it a necessery item in a serious shop }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Basement shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are going to have that space filled up in a hurry. Looks good--will you leave your wood storage in the old shop?

Wood storage always eats up the wall space.My dream shop would be a free standing building.
Just a dream--I like the work you've done.--Mike--
Mike you're right. Wood storage eats up all sorts of space and collects tons of dust. There's a 12x14' room in the basement adjacent to the shop that'll serve as my wood storage room, or at least that's the plan. I'd be tickled to not store any wood at all in the shop!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #8

Basement shop

Here's pics of what I started with...Note the unsafe stairs with no guardrail!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement shop-unfinished-bsmt1.jpg   Basement shop-unfinished-bsmt2.jpg  
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Basement shop

Think I see some code violations.

Just kidding!
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Basement shop

what are you using for ceiling tile? I would suggest a vinyl faced or a painted sheetrock tile. The typical rough surface tiles are going to grab the sawdust and are much harder to broom off without damaging them.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #11

Basement shop

Nap you're 1000% right. I'm using USG "radar" tiles, which are the cheapo's. I know that they'll collect some dust but hopefully an occasional shot of compressed air will loosen it up and get it airborne so my air cleaner can catch it.

Unfortunately, budget is a BIG concern. Wives don't get all that excited about spending money on shops like they do on living rooms, bathrooms and kitchens. The fact that the wood shop generates us a whole lot of extra income doesn't seem to matter!

Ponch, you don't see any code violations. Trust me. Well, other than the low headroom at the furdown...Which is 1" lower than code allows. But that was hard to avoid based on pre-existing conditions.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #12

Basement shop

Progress....

Getting my wiring all wrapped up, slow but sure. Still have to finish hanging a couple pieces of conduit and make up what seems like an endless amount of receptacles.

Got my JDS air filtration machine and hung it. That thing is incredible. It really gets the air moving and gets the dust out of the air.

Need to add more lights...

Got the bulk of my grid ceiling done. Just have to finish up the valances at the doors and window.

Going to start building work benches in a couple weeks. That'll be a task.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement shop-img_1132.jpg   Basement shop-img_1136.jpg   Basement shop-img_1134.jpg   Basement shop-img_1135.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #13

Basement shop

My compressor makes a heck of a racket, so I'm leaving it in the garage. I've ran copper air lines to the basement shop. Here's one of the hookups...The valve on the bottom is a bleed for moisture.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Basement shop

looks ready to move into.

where is the cot going to be?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Basement shop

why copper for the airline? Why not black iron pipe?

and it looks like the connector is right about eye or forehead level and sticking straight outward. Might I suggest it be turned one way or the other so it isn't something to run into? or one each direction?

and I know I'm being picky but I think I would have run the drain end to within about 18" from the floor so you can put a bucket under the drain. Don't want the drain water running across the floor do ya?

are the can lights sealed so you don't get airflow through them (and sawdust). or at least trims with lenses.

You might look into the newer 6 lamp 2X4 T8 HO fixtures. They put out a LOT of light. Might actually be too much though.

and endless quantity of receps...

oh, ye of not understanding what a lot of receps is. Try spending 8 hours a day for 3 months trimming receps and switches.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote