Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Basement redo - 2013

When I first bought my house I tore out the basement due to mold and other issues, and turns out I had to redo weeping tiles because of leaks. Finally got to a point where I saved up enough money for supplies.

This year my goal is to frame and dricore, and most likely run the wiring for electrical and data as well as various environmental sensors such as floor water moisture sensors.

So far I've only been doing misc projects to prep for the actual framing, but I'm ready to start soon. I kept running into issues where I realize I need a certain tool but think I got everything covered now! Also realized that building the walls in place will be much easier than building on the floor, especially given the limited space I have to work in with all the lumber and stuff around. I'll hopefully be good to go tomorrow! I decided I will build the walls in place starting with the top plate, then using a plumb bob which I bought the other day, to determine where the bottom plate goes, then I can be dead on.

Hre's some pics:

Lumber and half of the dricore arrived! I had to haul all this myself as the delivery service only drops it outside. That was a workout. 170 2x4's and 120 dricore tiles in that pic. Another 120 outside but I had left it there overnight, was too weak and was literally collapsing. The snow was also starting to come down real hard.

Next morning... I totally wished I had just toughed it out and finished it.

Done, but a few days later I moved it all in the basement, that much weight on the floor was making me nervous. Floor was not quite level before. It is now.

Had to cap a line as the rest of it was in the way, and not in use anyway, was just capped further down. This is my first copper solder project. Very minor mind you.

Got a pro to break up the floor to save me from doing the work, and I ran a drain pipe leading to the sump pit, and poured concrete. That allows me to get rid of the long condensate going over the floor.

Furnace was leaking from moving the condensate line too much. The clip that keeps in in place broke. Temp fix.... actually it's still like that now and holding up. I might actually just leave it. If it works....

Week later, still not cured! Something's gone wrong... ended up redoing it. Even another week and it was still not cured.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

Reached image limit.... continued:

New cement. Helps when I use the right stuff, and when it's not like 3 years old!

Added a drain line for the humidifier, had been wanting to do that but figured I'd wait till I run the new drain in case I change my mind on how I want to do things. 3/4 copper with a ball valve. The capped piece is a place I can connect a hose such as for a dehumidifier (ironicly) in summer.

Rerouted condensate and joined the humidifier drain. The leak you see in the pic is fixed, I had not pushed it far enough in the shark bite. The shark bite seemed like the most appropriate way to join the two types of pipe. It's a 3/4 CPVC that goes to a T. One end of the T converts to 1/2 for the furnace. I kinda messed up going to the furnace, the horizontal run was a tad too short. Ended up working out ok, since it's not a high pressure system I'm not really that concerned. No leaks.

And that's it for now. The laundry/furnace room is what needed the most prep work due to stuff in the way. I still have the electrical panel and laundry tub to worry about, and some more plumbing, but I think I will skip that wall for now and decide what to do after. I will also be able to cover the sump pit more or less completely now that I have that floor drain, but I will still make it accessible.

Not much so far, but I'll keep posting as I put in some progress. I've been lazy for the past few weeks and did not touch much. Going to go full tilt tomorrow and try to get at least the first crawlspace wall done. Once I get started I'm sure things will speed up and I may be able to do the rest faster. First time framing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

I've been lazy and have not been putting much time into my basement, but I finally put work in, and finished the first wall span. This is my first time framing ever. I'd say about half way it was really starting to roll, but it's hard on the knees working in there! Doing the crawlspace first, then the basement. By then I'm sure things will be going faster. What's long though is drilling the holes for the tapcons. Good 10-15 minute per hole! I only put 2 per 2x4, but for basement part I will probably put 3.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

Have not been working on this every day, but I put in some time in the past few days and got more progress done. The framing for the crawlspace is almost done. Longest part is the top and bottom plates, once those are in the rest is pretty fast. I just have the studs to put for one length and that's it. Then I can put in the drycore!

Can't wait to be done working in there, it's hard on the knees and back! Once the crawlspace is done I can start on the actual basement part as well as the server room. The more fun stuff.

Was using tapcons to put the bottom plate but it was taking bloody ages, so I decided to get THIS. Very fun tool to use!

Jig I made to quickly measure for studs

Back of crawlspace studs done

Let's play a game! Spot the plumbing issue. Little oopsie there by my contractor from a while back. At least he did not notch the hell out of those joists... he did what he could.

Really I should have rerouted that so it shoots straight along the first joist then just dip down once at the far end. Would have made the top plate easier too.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Basement redo - 2013

What are your plans for the crawlspace? I've never seen anyone finish a crawlspace before.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

Spray foam and dricore, and to fire block the insulation I'll have to put up drywall so that's why I'm framing it. I'll probably run a couple electrical outlets and stuff too, never know if I may need to plug something in there, like a vacuum. More or less just want to make it a cleaner space that I can walk in without needing shoes. Used for storage only.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Basement redo - 2013

How high is the ceiling in there?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

About 44" or so. Low enough that it's a pain to work in, but still high enough that I don't have to actually crawl. The dricore will take off a few inches mind you. Going to start work tonight for 6 days then I'll be off for 6 so probably do the dricore then. Should be fairly easy to install I imagine, never done it before. There's a few spots where it might get tricky though but nothing absurd.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,210

Basement redo - 2013

You may have already mentioned this, but have you thought about taping the seams on the duct work and insulating it?

You're doing a great job in that crawl space. It looks nice & clean.

ETA:
Here is something you might think about getting or making something similar to it.
It would make it a lot easier to scoot around in the crawl space without having to be on your knees or bending over.
I got one like it and used it when we were insulating my mom's crawl space a few years ago.
You could probably find one at a garage sale or on Craigs List.
Let me know if the picture doesn't show up.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 05-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

I thought of sealing the ducts better but figured, it helps add heat in there anyway. Though I should probably block the two supplies so I can get more pressure as I don't really need much heat down there, just enough to say I'm getting some air movement. I also need to remove the dampers, they arn't aligned with the lever anymore so it's a guessing game as to how they are even positioned. The two vents in the living room above (the end of the main duct) don't get much pressure.

And that toy gave me an idea... You know those scooter thingies in school gym glass as a kid? THAT is what I need. LOL. All done framing now though, just got the dricore to put in, then I can start on the basement part. I have 6 days of 12 hour shifts though, so I'll only be starting after that.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

I'm off work now, so going to continue on this.

This was fun to build:

I can't help but think of how fun it would be to go down an inclined street with this thing. The potential trip to the ER that would follow would be less fun.

It's actually so I can move dricore tiles around when I start on the crawlspace tomorrow. Will also act as a place to put other supplies as I work. Wish I had thought of this sooner actually.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,020

Basement redo - 2013

Good updates.

Loving the pictures and the fact that we don't get that kind of snow here.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

Finally a bit of dricore installed. Started late today, then ended up going to spend some time with family, so I put maybe an hour or so of work. :P I'm a slacker. Not that much in a hurry though so just chipping away at my own leisure. Some days I'm just not in the mood or have other stuff to do around the house.

Going to be adding a door here. That's the crawlspace under the garage. Not going to do anything special there.

Goes really well with that cart I made... can't imagine having to haul tiles down there by hand.

Hoping to finish tomorrow if I can get myself to get up before 2 lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Basement redo - 2013

Wow that's a lot of storage space with room under the garage as well. I wish I had that kind of storage space. Mind you I would probably just collect more crap anyways.
cdnNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Wire Chewer

Basement redo - 2013

Yeah it is kind of nice to have that much storage. On the other hand, more basement would be nice too, and I could just make a storage room a quarter of that size. Moved lot of stuff out of there today so I can finish the dricore, I actually found two high school year books that I spent almost an hour going through haha. Crazy to think that was 10 years ago.

Got maybe 2 rows to go then I'm done the crawlspace. Started late today and I have to go to bed early tonight because there's church tomorrow so ran out of time. Going to finish the rest tomorrow. There's one small section I did not frame but decided I'll need to frame it in order to get drywall around it so I'll do that too.

The dricore does have a bit of tendancy to have slivers chip off given it's waferboard, so I'm probably going to stain and varnish it. Seen it done and looks pretty sharp to consider it's just a sub floor product. Though I'm also debating of maybe using commercial vinyl tile. That would also be more water proof in case a pipe leaks or something.