DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Project Showcase (http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/)
-   -   Basement Project (http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/basement-project-45374/)

ThunderCAT 05-27-2009 11:30 AM

Basement Project
 
5 Attachment(s)
Started to finish my unifinished basement in Feb - - I estimate I am currently 2 weeks or so away from being finished. House was built in 2007, poured concrete basement walls, one egress window. In total we're adding 725 finished sq feet that includes a large family room, den/office (which we'll use as a toy room for now), and a full bathroom.

I've done the vast majority of the work myself with the exception of electrical and drywall mainly.

ThunderCAT 05-27-2009 11:32 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Drywall and finish work at current state (5/27/09)

ThunderCAT 05-27-2009 03:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fireplace stone

shumakerscott 05-30-2009 03:43 PM

Dwarf
 
Who was that pajama clad dwarf in one of the pic's? Looks great, dorf dude...

LeviDIY 05-30-2009 07:50 PM

Excellent work... any bathroom pics?

ThunderCAT 05-31-2009 10:26 PM

The smaller size of the bathroom makes pics challenging, but when we get it done, I'll post some more if I can get a good look at it.

ThunderCAT 05-31-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shumakerscott (Post 280565)
Who was that pajama clad dwarf in one of the pic's? Looks great, dorf dude...


That's my little man (he'll be 2 in Aug)....he really enjoyed being down there with me. I gave him a 2' level and a small hammer and he would go down there and help daddy whenever he could.

HABSFAN2006 06-01-2009 01:38 PM

Great job on your basement project! Everything looks well planned out, and I'm sure it turned out great. Love the idea of the custom fireplace in the corner. I noticed you placed your two front speakers in the ceiling, and your two rear in the wall, I am currently contemplating this exact scenario. The color is a little dark for my personal preference, but, to each his own! I do like how you've painted the sides of the bulkheads to match the walls, this seams to be common practice lately, and I think I will have to try it out. The little man maybe be only two, but doesn't it seem less like "work" when you have a little assistant?
My Springer Spaniel currently serves as my assistant... :laughing:

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

ThunderCAT 06-01-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSFAN2006 (Post 281268)
Great job on your basement project! Everything looks well planned out, and I'm sure it turned out great. Love the idea of the custom fireplace in the corner. I noticed you placed your two front speakers in the ceiling, and your two rear in the wall, I am currently contemplating this exact scenario. The color is a little dark for my personal preference, but, to each his own! I do like how you've painted the sides of the bulkheads to match the walls, this seams to be common practice lately, and I think I will have to try it out. The little man maybe be only two, but doesn't it seem less like "work" when you have a little assistant?
My Springer Spaniel currently serves as my assistant... :laughing:

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Thanks!
The color is a little dark for a basement, but with the white trim it's not too bad. We also have a lot of lights down there, which helps too. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when the carpet is in (going in a week from today).

Regarding ceiling speaker placement - I had some consultation from a friend that works for Best Buy's Magnolia Home Theater department. He assured me the in-ceiling speakers will be very effective (actually have three speakers in the ceiling, including the center speaker along with the R&L Front). I went with Speakercraft AIM8THREE'S with aimable tweeters, so they should work quite well. Hoping to have those hooked up to everything withing a month or so and am excited to hear everything. I ordered the receiver and subwoofer, but still have to get the TV and Blue-Ray player.

HABSFAN2006 06-01-2009 02:13 PM

Very exciting, I am hoping I will bet getting much of the same done very soon.

Did you work on the fireplace stones & mortar yourself? Was that a difficult job, I am leaning going this way, but Electric insert instead...

ThunderCAT 06-01-2009 02:21 PM

I actually didn't do it myself, though I was planning on it. I was able to get installation for 50% off, so I opted to spend the money to have it done. I figure after what I would have paid in materials it was only $150-200 to have it done for me.

slowboyy 06-02-2009 03:58 PM

nice job im about to get started this weekend on my basement

ThunderCAT 06-05-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowboyy (Post 281728)
nice job im about to get started this weekend on my basement

Good luck...post some pictures of your progress! :thumbsup:

I have my laminate wood floor down in the landing and bathroom, and have all doors now installed and trimmed out. This weekend will be final plumbing (toilet and vanity/sink install) along with some painting, final touch ups and cleaning. Carpet's coming Monday, so hoping to have final inspection next week.

GunMetal87 02-13-2010 02:16 PM

Awesome color! Perfect for my new office, what color is it?

Lali 02-14-2010 07:56 AM

Terrific job! Love the fireplace, tho' grey is probably the last color I'd choose. Each to his own! Cute li'l munchkin! Blessings!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.