Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Architectural Salvage

We are building a house and much of the finish materials for this house my wife found online at this great Architectural Salvage place that takes removed items [kitchens, toilets, pretty much anything] and resells it to raise $ for rehab [Greendemolition.org].

So we got many of the items for our house there-
$350 Kohler toilets for $125
5' vanity with marble top and under mounts sinks
8'8" custom vanity with granite top, undermount Kohler sinks and nice [??] faucets
Oh we got these great knotty pine WoodMode cabinets for our laundry and mudroom, and the granite counter [that was all of $40 for 2'x2' I think] for the one cabinet with countertop in the mudroom. They look really nice.

So who here has also used salvaged materials?

I've been looking over the projects here and I am impressed and a little humbled!

NY Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 81

Architectural Salvage

The website you list doesn't have any useful content. Just fishing for ad clicks for a user at the moment. Not sure if you make money this way, or it's a coincidense. Either way, To stay on topic, I have been trying to find salvaged pieces to retain the period of the pieces in my house.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

Architectural Salvage

The actual website is greendemolition.com with the materials. There are some good things there, but its really hit or miss, I live a mile from the store in PA and go in there every now and then. Its a neat idea and store, but they dont have the material numbers yet to make it a viable option for remodeling.
bc0604@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,040

Architectural Salvage

NY Homeowner:
Any time I have a chance to go for re-cycled materials I'll give it a go.
One of the more interesting deals I found was from a private chap about 80 miles from here. He had bought many cases of brand new single weight glass with the idea of building himself several large greenhouses. Didn't get any built, so he had to unload the glass. I got about 700 pounds from him for 12 cents a square foot. When we were loading it all in my van, he took pity on me and gave me a whole lot more - no charge!
All the sheets were covered with paper. Apparently, they do it this way to cut down on breakage and scratching. I had never seen that before. It looks as though the paper is actually made right on the glass. It comes off really quickly with plain water, almost dissolves instantly.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,094

Architectural Salvage

My friend's husband went on Craig's list a few weeks ago and got 6 sheets of drywall free. All he had to do is go get them.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #6

Architectural Salvage

bc0604, does that store have very much at any given time? just wondering bc its about a 2 hour drive from me i think. i like the idea a lot save money and recycle lol. just wondering.
fbennett1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Architectural Salvage

For those around Baltimore or want to make a day trip, http://www.secondchanceinc.org/

specialguest is offline   Reply With Quote