Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #241
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 6,941
Rewards Points: 3,016
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Looking good.

That toy will pay for itself 1000X over by saving you back problems and visits to the doctor.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #242
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 930
Rewards Points: 682
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Plus you can probably sell it when you're done for the same amount you paid for it.

That was my plan, but now I think I'm going to keep it. You never know when you might have to tear down a ceiling.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #243
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Ill def be keeping it. It folds up quite nicely! My dad is happy, thats for sure
__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #244
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucon01 View Post
Hi Derek!

Are you referring to the shanks they used to secure the firring strips to the block wall? If so, I use a long crowbar.
Thanks Jeff,

Yes those, and were there any cements nails or archors holding the bottom plates to the cement floor? It is hard to tell from the first couple of pictures but it looks like there were bottom plates

Thanks,
Derek
shavlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #245
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Quote:
Originally Posted by shavlor View Post
Thanks Jeff,

Yes those, and were there any cements nails or archors holding the bottom plates to the cement floor? It is hard to tell from the first couple of pictures but it looks like there were bottom plates

Thanks,
Derek
They didn't have any bottom plates. All there was were firring strips nailed to the wall with paneling staples to it. The bottom was then covered with a baseboard.

Since there were no bottom plates, all the electrical outlets were recessed into the block wall...
__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #246
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucon01 View Post
They didn't have any bottom plates. All there was were firring strips nailed to the wall with paneling staples to it. The bottom was then covered with a baseboard.

Since there were no bottom plates, all the electrical outlets were recessed into the block wall...
Interesting, unfortunately my basement had/has bottom plates that need replacing, both nails and bolts. I am using crow bar to break them since they are not coming up all the way, probably will have to grind them down then cover with finishing cement.

Nice lift, I got one before I knew that would need to reframe... now it is waiting in its box
shavlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #247
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Drywall starting...
Attached Thumbnails
2012 - Basement demo-image-2617370394.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-image-1388727193.jpg  
__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trucon01 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-12-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #248
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 75
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Trucon, looks amazing man. Nice progress. I just went through every page and I like it. I had to redo about half of my basement when we first bought it and am in the works of starting to finish the rest (wish I just would have done what you did but didn't have the time...needed half of it finished right away for the new daycare). I just have a couple of questions...

1. Why did you decide not to put foamboard on every outside wall?
2. Is there a reason you put your bathroom at the bottom of the stairs instead of across the room? This would have opened up the bottom of the stairs a little.
3. I noticed a few pages back, your pic of your new panel. I know you said your panel passed inspection but are you allowed to frame in around your panel?
4. Somebody had mentioned about putting weatherstripping around the doors to your utility closet so I am assuming that your HVAC and everything are electrical?

Just some thoughts I had while looking through. Either way, doing a great job! I look forward to the finished project...
nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #249
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 930
Rewards Points: 682
Default

2012 - Basement demo


I'm guessing that block wall is a separating wall from the neighbor's basement.

As far as weather stripping around the mech room door, my heat and furnace have intakes that go to the outside.

Last edited by mikegp; 03-13-2014 at 09:59 PM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #250
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 66
Rewards Points: 75
Default

2012 - Basement demo


that makes sense about the block wall...forgot how close the neighbors were!

As for the door, my furnace and water heater are both gas. While they are vented through the roof, I was told that I need to make sure that both have enough air to "breathe" because of the combustion...
nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #251
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 930
Rewards Points: 682
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Quote:
Originally Posted by nvycrmn View Post
that makes sense about the block wall...forgot how close the neighbors were!

As for the door, my furnace and water heater are both gas. While they are vented through the roof, I was told that I need to make sure that both have enough air to "breathe" because of the combustion...
Mine are gas as well, but they have an exhaust and an intake that go through the top of the foundation to get outside air. Some units just pull air from the room so people put louvered doors or leave a gap somewhere. I'd just be afraid of co poisoning in that situation if anything ever goes wrong.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #252
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Quote:
Originally Posted by nvycrmn View Post
Trucon, looks amazing man. Nice progress. I just went through every page and I like it. I had to redo about half of my basement when we first bought it and am in the works of starting to finish the rest (wish I just would have done what you did but didn't have the time...needed half of it finished right away for the new daycare). I just have a couple of questions...

1. Why did you decide not to put foamboard on every outside wall?
2. Is there a reason you put your bathroom at the bottom of the stairs instead of across the room? This would have opened up the bottom of the stairs a little.
3. I noticed a few pages back, your pic of your new panel. I know you said your panel passed inspection but are you allowed to frame in around your panel?
4. Somebody had mentioned about putting weatherstripping around the doors to your utility closet so I am assuming that your HVAC and everything are electrical?

Just some thoughts I had while looking through. Either way, doing a great job! I look forward to the finished project...
Thank you and thanks for taking the time to read!

To answer your questions:
1. I have an inside townshouse so those walls are shared with neighbors.
2. There was already a bathroom down there in that location. So there was a cast iron pipe under the slab as well as an exhaust vent already drilled into the brick. So I kept the location and replaced the cast iron with PVC, etc.
3. Not sure, and I haven't decided if I'm framing to the outside of the box or making a larger door so you can get to the grommets.
4. Yes, everything is electric.

Thanks again and feel free to ask any other questions.

Jeff
__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #253
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Ceiling is up in the back part of the basement. Replaced both front and back faucets. And... Build the shower pan. Not hard to do, but a pain in the a$$.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 - Basement demo-photo-3.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-photo-4.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-photo-2.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-photo-1.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-photo-5.jpg  

__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #254
Member
 
Trucon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Hit yourself with a hammer... Check
Cut yourself with a box cutter... Check
Attached Thumbnails
2012 - Basement demo-photo-1-1-.jpg   2012 - Basement demo-photo-2-1-.jpg  
__________________
Basement Demo started Jan 2012: View my basement progression!!!

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #255
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 930
Rewards Points: 682
Default

2012 - Basement demo


Did you by chance have a small break on the top of the drywall so pulled out some compound to fix it a little and then used left over to cover some screw holes? I only ask because I did that exact same thing when I first started my drywall.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wet basement - don't know where to start konradsa Building & Construction 17 09-20-2011 11:08 AM
Remodeling basement: Moist foundation gordonf238 Building & Construction 8 04-25-2010 07:50 PM
basement subpanel suggestions/advice desired ScottsName Electrical 4 02-26-2009 07:38 PM
Basement Renovation Project Howdy Electrical 6 03-13-2008 12:07 PM
Basement - need to bust up about 1 ft deeper FallenAngel Building & Construction 7 08-15-2007 10:09 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.