2 Bathrooms And A Kitchen - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Developer by Day

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to KevinACrider

2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen

My 400 pound cast iron tub has stopped me dead in my tracks. So I figure it's a good time to start my log of my renovations to our 110 year old 2 story house. My wife and I bought our house 1 year ago and soon learned the kitchen sink and upstairs bathroom were DOA. The plumbing had serious issues and left us without use of either a kitchen sink or an upstairs bathroom for a few months. Fast forward a few months and the kitchen sink is functional but the bathroom is still not and now my wife is pregnant. You can imagine, I'm under strict orders to restore use of the upstairs bathroom. I have taken pictures of certain phases but do not have them all. I will do my best to explain what is going on but it's going to be hard if you haven't been in my house.

Our upstairs bathroom sits directly above our kitchen and the plumbing would drop through the floor, come down inside a decorative/supportive (more on this later) pillar and into our island where our sink connected and then into the ground below. There is no basement below the kitchen, just a tiny crawlspace through the island. We've removed the pillar and found out how weak it really was. Long story short, we removed it completely and jacked a beam up into place to carry the load. I have pictures of this that I will attach in the next post. The plumbing was then rerouted through the ceiling of my kitchen and connected to my downstairs bathroom that is on a new main line and completely separate of the prior kitchen main. Don't ask, I don't know. Our kitchen has half of it ceiling sloping upwards that I plan to flatten out and match the other half, which will inevitably cover the new plumbing. To get to my other main, I had to rip up the downstairs bathroom, that's why this is 2 bathrooms at once. Right now downstairs has no vanity and big holes in the floor but it's our only working shower and has a working toilet.

Upstairs. This is where I'm at. I've completely gutted the disgusting old bathroom and we're building it all new. I have about half the old walls out, which are plaster and lathe. I just tonight got the tub out. Heavy son of a gun. I will have to get help getting it out of my house.

Advertisement

KevinACrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Welcome back! I am looking forward to the pictures---Better get that bath up and going soon or your next thread will be about building a dog house!

---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Developer by Day

I apologize for the lack of pictures. I tried to snap some new ones on my phone and the room is too small to get any decent pictures. I have to dig out my D90 and get some better pictures.

I did get my tub out finally. It and all the copper I removed was enough at the scrap yard to pay for the new tub, so that's been picked up as well. I need to finish demo'ing the bathroom yet.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Developer by Day

Today I got the hole from the old door framed back up and the new door is installed. I also pulled up the 5/8" plywood. This leads me to my first question.

Under the plywood was 5/8" t&g floor as shown in the picture. There are various areas in the floor where holes were cut and pieces are missing from the t&g. Should I rip that up and put down new ply or should I fill in the holes with ply patches and then ply over it all? I want to install tile on this floor. I've not yet decided on an underlayment but I do have my tile purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen-2011-10-25-19.49.32.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Developer by Day

Here are 2 pictures from the beginning, when I originally promised photos. The tub was removed and the walls started coming down. I have to move that window a few inches to the right yet to make room for our vanity. In the next post you will see how I moved the door a feet feet down the hall to make room for a larger double sink vanity.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen-2011-10-19-20.55.24.jpg   2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen-2011-10-19-20.55.41.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Developer by Day

Here are 2 pictures from the other night. The door has been moved and the room has been gutted.
Attached Thumbnails
2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen-2011-10-24-20.48.21.jpg   2 Bathrooms and a Kitchen-2011-10-24-20.49.04.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

That's quite the project you have started! It sounds like you'll do just fine. I can't wait to see your progress updates.

Would it be safe to assume that your main goal right now is to get the plumping problems rectified and the rooms made safe, then at a later time update the fixtures and decorative elements?
Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Developer by Day

Thanks, Thadius! I'm actually doing everything in one fell swoop. The hole in the floor with partial plumbing is from me removing the old plumbing. The vanity is moving so new plumbing needs installed there. I've rough plumbed new water and drain lines to the left of my existing toilet. I'm going to repair any stud damage (there was a lot of water damage in this room, from both a leaking roof and a poor plumbing job in the old tub) and then put in the new plumbing and electrical and get the walls and floors closed back up ASAP.

The wife is due with our first child in January, so I'm on a strict deadline!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
DIY staff

Good luck---I saw some notched floor joists in the first picture-You might want to remove the old 1x6 floor sheeting---fix any joists--then add new plywood.

That's an old place there--any idea what year the house was built?--Mike---
Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Developer by Day

The notched joists is where the old plumbing was ran to the sink. My original plan was to pull up all the T&G so I could sister new 2x6's in wherever they need to go but I was reading on another thread that leaving old T&G in a better solution. I would prefer to remove it and replace it with a 5/8" layer of plywood. I may use Ditra to cut down on how much added depth I get and then tile over that.

The house is old. The main portion of the house is over 100 years old, but that's currently the living room now. It's had 3 additions, but I am not sure when this particular bathroom was built.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
DIY staff

3/4" b/c plywood is about as thin as I feel safe using----I believe Ditra accepts 5/8 as a minimum thickness---But going with the minimum might bight you.

It will be fine if you leave the old flooring in place---But those joists need fixing.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Developer by Day

The joists will be repaired, trust me. There are several others in the wall and ceiling that need repaired also.

I will go with the 3/4" plywood then, I just don't want to have a big different in my hallway floor to my bathroom floor as I will be putting tile on top of this. Although I can say that my hallway carpet is extremely thing, I don't even consider it carpet. It will be replaced with a much thicker carpet, so that could help offset any difference in floor transitions. But that's another project that will be completed after I replace the remaining hallway doors.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #13

How thick are we talking?
Planning: Kitchen Reno
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Developer by Day

Which item's thickness are you referring to?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Military Mom of 4

Can't wait to see more progress pics!

How'd you get the tub out? I've had to muscle one by myself - had to get creative and build a full wooden frame to strap around it - attached a series of wheels to the bottom. Somewhat like a large piano dolly.

Advertisement