Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Share |

1964 Ranch Restoration

This house is my childhood home that fell into disrepair as my parents aged. So, they sold it to us knowing we were capable of fixing it up, and moved into a new construction home. 14 years later, we're still working on it but getting close to having it where we want it to be. I'll give the condensed history to get us up to this summer's projects.

First things we had to do was treat for termites, clean out & burn the 20' x 20' trash pile in the back yard, shore up the 2nd story deck that had been nailed to the house (by a contractor too), paint inside & out, replace roof, and replace the septic system.

The house had a nice kitchen, we removed the vinyl flooring and installed tile, otherwise it had already been remodeled prior to us moving in. The refrigerator was white, so I spray painted it black.

After a few years, I decided to remove all the carpet as I knew there was hardwood underneath. We had to restore the bedroom floors, but the living room looked like new.

I painted a unified color throughout the first floor to go with the tile in the kitchen/dining & front foyer.

The walkout basement was a jumbled mess with lots of dark paneling & small rooms. I teach piano, so I took the summer off a few years ago and we turned it into a large studio, removing a wall.

We used plywood on the long wall, taping off squares with masking tape & staining each square a different color & covering the tape lines with black trim, used laminate flooring, left the duct work unfinished, and painted the beam and poles black.

That's not everything, but most of the big projects. This summer we're fixing things that have been put off as long as possible...the garage & the retaining wall, the deck, and the siding. We finally hired some help for these things, something we had not done before (except the septic system & roof). Last week a contractor built our new retaining wall and poured proper footings for our garage. It had been built on a slab only a few inches thick in some places. As dirt washed out through the retaining wall, the slab cracked and caused the sill plate not to touch the foundation any longer. Another wall had water damage & the sill plate had rotted out.

We now have proper footings.

We immediately tore off the siding & sheathed the garage to get ready for vinyl siding later this summer.

Today, our new windows (12 of them) were installed, they'll finish that up tomorrow, we did contract that out also. Our original windows were single pane with most the glazing gone. New ones are triple pane. Our only style change was the living room window. We changed the configuration to a larger casement style instead of double hung on the ends for better air circulation.

Another recent project was to box in the old fashioned porch posts. We're not quite done, but I think you'll get the idea.

Our remaining project before we get vinyl siding in August will be to rebuild our deck, and I'll have photos of that as soon as we get it built (DIY).

Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

1964 Ranch Restoration

House when we purchased it in 1998

Before Pic prior to new windows & vinyl siding this summer. We decided to remove the fake shutters.

The vinyl siding will be a darker blue/gray with white trim color.

Last edited by Pianolady; 07-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

1964 Ranch Restoration

The original basement was dark wood paneling typical of this period house. I believe my parents put it in back in the 1970's. We had previously added carpet to the rooms and a lighter paneling in the piano room, but tore that out also to expose the ductwork, beam and poles.

Before:

Removing Wall

This left us with some drywall to replace, which we did just what you see removed and duplicated the swirl pattern instead of replacing the entire ceiling & painted.

Painted the beam & poles black and reframed the stairs wall (see before pic below):

Stairs framing before, stove was above this wall, it just wasn't right so we fixed it.

We insulated the wall and used plywood as paneling, taping off the squares and staining using 3 different colors. We kept the light paneling on the other wall shown since we'd placed it there and insulated previously, it was a neutral color.

Replaced or repaired & painted all the drywall in room and in adjacent hallway.

New carpet for the steps:

Continued in next post...

Last edited by Pianolady; 07-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

1964 Ranch Restoration

We moved the grand piano around on plywood as we installed the laminate floor.

Trimmed everything in black:

We'd installed track lighting along the interesting wall to highlight it, and recessed spotlights right above the piano. General recessed lighting down the center.

New back door with a window and light from the stairwell also comes into the room.

So, we went from this...

To this...

~600 square foot music studio, nice write-off come tax time too.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

1964 Ranch Restoration

This is what happens when you let a 13 year old design her own room. It's just paint, it will soon be redone as a piano studio waiting room as soon as we're sure we won't be having any adult children moving back home. If they do, they have to live in it as is or paint it themselves.

I actually like the bathroom attached to this bedroom, will probably leave that alone. Again, the teen helped design the bathroom and even helped install the tile.

Last edited by Pianolady; 07-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #6

1964 Ranch Restoration

We didn't have to do a lot with the kitchen, it had a good start when we purchased the house. We'll eventually replace the counters & get a new refrigerator.

We did replace all the light fixtures, paint the refrigerator black, and remove the linoleum and replace with tile.

Before:

After:

Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #7

1964 Ranch Restoration

The furnace room is on the back side of this basement hallway. We used a prefab white bookshelf unit, backed it with white beadboard, built a frame base for it to sit on, slid the unit in the space & velcro attached the pvc trim to the wall. It's removable in case we need more space in the furnace room for repair to the utilities. We recently replaced the hot water heater & just slid this shelf unit out, replaced the water heater, and slid it back in.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

1964 Ranch Restoration

Took my sample piece of vinyl siding down and had them color match me a gallon of paint. The darker color on the garage door will help hide it's imperfections, and I get a preview of what our siding color will look like.

Last edited by Pianolady; 07-08-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

1964 Ranch Restoration

Today's Project: Three 42" deep deck post footing holes are dug, reference lines strung, form tubes put in and leveled, concrete hauled, mixed and poured, and post anchor bolts inserted in fresh concrete. Rented concrete mixer cleaned up and returned.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #10

1964 Ranch Restoration

Quick update on the deck...almost done, just have some steps & stair railing left to do. We decided to go with a black aluminum railing, and run joists 12" on center, 6'x6' posts. Still have to get our diagonal braces added, hopefully tomorrow. There is a vinyl piece separating the aluminum posts from the pt lumber.

Everything is straight, my camera's skewing the photos.

An earlier pic of the decking.

We also got our new storm doors installed this week. Larson Lakeview doors, they are very nice.

Last edited by Pianolady; 08-25-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

1964 Ranch Restoration

Love your deck and the piano room. How are the acoustics?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

1964 Ranch Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadytrake View Post
Love your deck and the piano room. How are the acoustics?
Thanks! The acoustics aren't nearly as bright or loud as I thought it would be without any carpet. Which may be a good thing. The grand piano is fine, the upright I have is a little loud because I don't have it against a wall.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

1964 Ranch Restoration

We had a 9' Baldwin in my childhood home. It was an A-Frame and we had to have special supports for the piano. Mostly wood walls and glass windows. It was pretty bright but we had oriental rugs all over the room and it helped a lot.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #14

1964 Ranch Restoration

Deck is coming along fine, siding company gets started Wednesday (we're not DIYing that).
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15

1964 Ranch Restoration

Not DIY, but a big change. I was hesitant about getting vinyl siding, but am happy with it now that we are done.