DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1938 TN Home - My First Home, My First project, Tons of Pictures!!!

857K views 78 replies 19 participants last post by  Firefighter3244 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone, I made a thread when I purchased the home a few months ago. I'm creating this as my official project thread where you can follow
everything I'm doing, and help me out. :laughing: I have lurked these forums for a lil while now and plan to pull the great knowledge from all the wonderful minds that are here!

So, I suppose I'll start.

I received a binder a few months after I bought the home, it's amazing but it tells the homes story and other wonderful details. I'm so lucky to have this binder/book. I'll get to the story after the specs.

Specs: Purchased for 100k Foreclosure :thumbup:
1938 TN home, Zoned Historical property via the local zoning and Historical society.
Main Floor 2,600 sq ft
Full Unfinished Basement Additional 2,600 sq ft.
Unfinished Attic 902 sq ft
Original Refinished Hardwoof Floors ThroughOut the entire Main Floor.
Granite Counters in Kitchen and Laundry Room
10 ft ceilings
3 Bed, 2 Full Bath. 2 Living Rooms, 2 Dining Rooms (remember formal and family versions)
2nd Living has a room off of it, which I'm turning into a wonderful master closet.
7/10 of an Acre Lot.
Paved Drive ( Needs redone )
2.5 Car Carport. Brick. Only needs door and bricking in window to make garage.
I purchased the home from a couple who bought it in 2005 for 160,000
and then put almost 60,000 into it to help restore it to it's current condition.

I love all the wonderful detail and the home has so much character you simply don't find in newer homes unless their multi millions, even then it's not that same character in my opinion.

Story:
I got this book. This drawing was done in 1999 and inside of this are pictures, quotes for work to be done, receipts and other things pertaining to the home.

And heres the store on the inside cover..

It goes on etc.... records of all prev. owners etc... It was awesome to have the story behind the home. Esp one this old.

Photos of the home. I'm going to Include Photos when I bought it, and below that will be it's current state and how it looks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Kitchen

1st Full bath, Shower/toilet are to right of door/sink.

2nd Living room ( New Master Bedroom )

Room off of 2nd living room ( Turning it into Master Closet, maybe bath )

2nd dining room. You can see the 2nd living through the double doors in 1st pic. And in 2nd pic you can see the main dining, and laundry on the right.

#4 ·
2nd Full Bathroom.

The Laundry Room with ample storage. It's Really large and lovely.
I've since Installed New Stackable HE washer/dryer

1st Bed

2nd bed

3rd bedroom which i've turned into my Home Office. And where I'm typing this right now! lol

basement

So thats all the photos for now!

Hope you enjoyed, and hope you come back to check my progress!

Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
You have a beautiful home, I especially like your floors, some of the wall colors aren't my first choice but it isn't my home either. I would for sure say you got your moneys worth.

May I make a suggestion, edit your first post and remove the city you live in and remove the first picture with your address in it. You have already told the world you are a firefighter so that means you will not be home on certain days and giving your address is just not wise. You also told that you have cameras.

I am not try to be a know it all or a smart butt I just wanted to call your attention to the fact that there are bad people in the world. Again, I really like your house and we will be glad to help you if we can.

#6 ·
Congratulations! You have a beautiful home.

I love the sink in the laundry room and all the storage space in there. Does the house have 7 exterior doors? That will be nice if there is ever a fire... God forbid.

For $100 grand, you got a steal! It's really nice that you appreciate the character and history of the house.

Who sent you the binder?

I wonder if there was ever an awning over the front porch where the short brick columns are.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you, I'm looking forward myself to making the property
look great and give it more details.

Thanks,

Edit: Oh By The Way, The Colors! Haha Those aren't staying that is what they are currently when I moved in. Yeah I don't like the colors either!
lol Except for the Dinning room red, I think I like that one. And the 3rd bedroom green. But the rest are getting paint!

#11 ·
If that home were here in Houston it'd fit in in what is known as The Heights which is Houston's Historical District and would easily value at three times what you paid. Homes half that size which is the norm for The Heights and which are built in the same manner as yours go for three times that much.

Your home has a lot of character and for an older home it seems to flow nicely. I like it.

#12 ·
First time I read this thread, I was behind a proxy that blocked your pictures. The text didn't do it justice.

All I can say is WOW! You have a beautiful home. It looks so tiny from the first picture... in the 800-1000 sq ft range. I can't believe it's so massive!

I stole a glimpse of your car port from the edge of one picture. Any chance we could see the whole thing? It's very interesting.

#14 ·
Wow, Sorry guys. It's been awhile since I've been on.

Well, I've done a ton of yard work and some other small things.

I'll start updating really soon.

Thad: Of course ya can! Here ya go. 2 Car Carport, Full brick with Left side Large Openings as windows. Love it. I could throw on a door and brick in the windows and have a true garage...

Its 40x23 if i'm not mistaken. Sry I forgot. Full size 2car....

I'll get some pictures tomm. Lots of Yard work.
Actually going to have a few projects coming up this week.

1: Gutter System. The Old Gutter System of Iron pipes are leaking and I get some moisture in the basement. Going to re route the piping with PVC. Should be a fun project. Always been into Hydro dams and Hydro ReRouting. haha

#17 ·
Heh, Thanks guys I find it annoying its a 2 and not a 2.5. But I guess everyone would always like a lil more. If I had a 2.5 I'm sure Id be complaining about it not being a 3. Hahaha.

So, Later this evening I'm going to be uploading some photos of my next project and ideas etc.... Dubbed "The Gutter waterway" :D

#18 ·
Wow - looks great as it is. There's no way to do anything but improve!

The before/afters of your work outside the house are impressive - the overgrown ivy and bushes really hide the exterior beauty of the brick and even concealed that one small porch to the point of it not being visible at all (before).

#21 ·
Wow, Again im sry. So I thought I was going to post a bunch of stuff
because I had some time off work, but it was because I was sick.
And I was more sick than I thought, so was unable to do anything.
I got really stressed about some things and at 23 years old gave myself
shingles. Over that now, And rdy to be active again!!'

I get off work at 7am tomm and hoping to make tomm a
very productive day. Cleaning the house, Thanks to my Fiance' :laughing:
Putting up Christmas Lights, Yard work and Rly starting to plan the
"waterWay Project" Or Gutter project. lol

So, this time rly, be rdy! haha

#22 ·
Great house, just a couple simple to do suggestions.
That wide flat area in the middle of the mantel over the fireplace needs something to break it up. If you go into Lowes or Home Depot look in the area where the moulding is. There a lot of differant style of wooden scrolls and designs sitting on the shelve below where the trim is. One of those prepainted with a gloss white enamal would make it pop. A little glue and two brads and your done.
I just hate the 12 X 12 accoustal tiles on the ceilings in any house.
What we have done is just cover them over with drywall using drywall adhesive and 3" drywall screws, making sure to hit the rafters. Then it matches the rest of the house.

#23 ·
Beautiful old house! Here comes the "but".

Get rid of the red canopy over the front door and that ugly aluminum storm door on the right side of the house. If you need a storm door get a full view door with a frame color that goes with the house (not mill finish aluminum--UGH).

#24 ·
Hey guys, Thanks for the Ideas and no worries. Any more and throw them my way!

Yeah, I have tons of plans and things I want to do. Right now anything I can
do Free or cheap is coming first. I don't have my 2nd job anymore and untill I replace it I can't do much. Even paint will have to wait untill I bring back my 2nd income.

I can't believe I'm saying this again, but I promise to get pictures and updates up soon. I've just really been busy trying to do stuff and find a 2nd job. lol

Thanks again

PS: Got a bunch of LED christmas lights on the house, so I'll get a pic of that too.

#25 · (Edited)
Alrighty, So things kind of have been put on hold. Trying to find another side job, ( Looks likes Lowes might hire me, wich would be awesome! Pay plus discount on stuff! )

We've been trying to do some small stuff inside, and free work outside.
Mostly landscaping, or... Destruction. Theres just so much over grwoth on
the entire property. I'm not ocd, But I like things neat and tidy. So
I've been doing alot of clearing of brush, etc....

So, heres an awesome above shot of my home.

Now, this is a winter shot so it looks wonderully clear. lol :no:
The red is my propety line. FYI, The train in the back is a 9am-5pm Mon-fri only. And like 3 times a day. So its rly not bad. It only supplies a small factory close by.

And I'm proud to gout that as you can see, It's a big deal I have such a large property in the historical district, seeing as everyone else around has small yards....
almost one full acre. and the house is roughly 75ft x 45ft

Ok, I'm going to include some more photos to better give an idea of what I'm working with and wanting to do.

The big thing, with the fiance's tax return, a fence for the dog. It's 400 ft. LOL yeah... where the blue line is. And with mine we'll do other things.

Close up

Another angle.....

And the guy thats getting a fence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.