Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Share |
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by gusherb94 View Post
Nice house! I see lots of potential in it and it looks like you did too. It seems like it was in perfect condition for a nice restoration, and it's nice that you appear to be restoring it to it's original luster! It's so deceptive when an old house gets remodeled into looking like a space ship on the inside, but still looks old on the outside!

Too bad it wasn't built with hot water or steam heat though, it always makes the drafty old homes more livable in the winter (I don't know if you live in a cold enough climate where that even matters though)

Thank you for the comments. We will have a 96% efficient heating system and a 3 ton unit just for the second floor. We put all new windows in, and increased the outside walls to "2x6", all holes were sprayfoamed, etc. There are no drafts in this house. We went with double hung to stay with the look of the house.

tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
Thats good, i love to see old homes restored but i hate when they are restored to look new instead of reclaiming their original glory. Ill be following this!
It should come out nice, the moulding knives are on order to match. We have been ordering early 1900's light fixtures and hinges. Here is a pic of one of the original hinges that was found on a door for a bedroom in the attic. It was the only set that did not have gobs of paint on it.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo1.jpg  
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 482
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Those are FANTASTIC hinges! It's always the little details in houses like that
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago/NWI
Posts: 17
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Thank you for the comments. We will have a 96% efficient heating system and a 3 ton unit just for the second floor. We put all new windows in, and increased the outside walls to "2x6", all holes were sprayfoamed, etc. There are no drafts in this house. We went with double hung to stay with the look of the house.
You might wanna have a Manual J heat load/loss calculation done. You may need much less then a 3 ton unit for cooling, and much smaller furnace then you think. Especially in an insulated and weather sealed older home, they tend to be way more energy efficient then modern homes after that stuff is done to them.

The last thing you want is an A/C that doesn't run long enough to remove enough moisture from the air to prevent a clammy sticky feeling. Also oversized A/C's tend to cost more to run (think about all the electricity drawn on those extra start ups!)
gusherb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gusherb94 For This Useful Post:
tjfslaughter (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by gusherb94 View Post
You might wanna have a Manual J heat load/loss calculation done. You may need much less then a 3 ton unit for cooling, and much smaller furnace then you think. Especially in an insulated and weather sealed older home, they tend to be way more energy efficient then modern homes after that stuff is done to them.

The last thing you want is an A/C that doesn't run long enough to remove enough moisture from the air to prevent a clammy sticky feeling. Also oversized A/C's tend to cost more to run (think about all the electricity drawn on those extra start ups!)
I had to talk to the A/C guy this morning about another issue, he said he plans on 2.5 ton, for some reason I thought 3 ton.
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


We rented the floor sander on Saturday, and the "screener for Sunday". The heart pine chewed up a lot of paper (3 rooms and all closets), The parquet turned out nice. They are not perfect but I never expected them to be.

There was shag carpet, plywood, linoeum, etc covering them. The work cost less than $0.75 a square foot for the rental, sand paper, and 3 coats of fabulon, and of course my free labor.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0949.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0950.jpg  
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjfslaughter For This Useful Post:
Amateuralex (05-23-2013), Startingover (01-09-2014)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Member
 
Amateuralex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 281
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Lordie that's gorgeous. Who would cover that up?!
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateuralex View Post
Lordie that's gorgeous. Who would cover that up?!
Not sure but it is very common around here. The next step is to start the ceiling painting, crown painting, etc. Once the crown is painted the custom casing should be run and I should be able to get that installed around the windows and doors.

I might get a friend to help with the base molding, as he is great at scribing them to match un-even floors.
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Started putting up paint. The prep work has taken longer than planned. Hopefully in a couple weeks the paint will be done. The casing and base is a little late.

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-image-2569295087.jpg
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 389
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


I'm interested in your second floor joists. I see that they're notched at the bearing walls, but what are they sitting on? Is there a ribbon let in or did your wall have a top plate? Also, what size are the joists?
Pittsville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
I'm interested in your second floor joists. I see that they're notched at the bearing walls, but what are they sitting on? Is there a ribbon let in or did your wall have a top plate? Also, what size are the joists?
I think I understand the question. The framing is semi balloon. The wall studs which vary in size are a full 2x4, 2x4 4x4, or 6x4. The top plates are all double 2x4's and the ceiling joist (or attic floor joist) sit on top of this. There is no "rim joist". The boards are a full 2x8". They are 16" on center.

The floor joist (between the second and first floor) are sitting on top of a double plate as well, the wall joist are nailed to the side of the floor joist if that makes sense... Thus creating potential fire hazard. The building department required fire block in this area.

I posted the best pic I could find depicting your request.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-joist.jpg  
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Work has progressed.

Got 2/3 of the rooms painted. Outlets and switches installed. Waiting on custom casing to come in, we are about 7 days out. This gives me time to rout out the hinge areas of the door jambs. We had to make custom door jambs because of the size of lumber we had in the house. Hopefully pics in a week or two. Then its onto closing the permits for this portion.

Cedar fence is on order also, we will be staining it to look like redwood. Has anybody on here done this?
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 389
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter

I think I understand the question. The framing is semi balloon. The wall studs which vary in size are a full 2x4, 2x4 4x4, or 6x4. The top plates are all double 2x4's and the ceiling joist (or attic floor joist) sit on top of this. There is no "rim joist". The boards are a full 2x8". They are 16" on center.

The floor joist (between the second and first floor) are sitting on top of a double plate as well, the wall joist are nailed to the side of the floor joist if that makes sense... Thus creating potential fire hazard. The building department required fire block in this area.

I posted the best pic I could find depicting your request.
I assume the joists "terminate" into the sheathing? Don't know that I would call any of that balloon framed.
Pittsville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


The books I have from the early 1900's call it semi balloon. The inspector called it the same and made me put fireblock in.
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Default

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation


Got my custom casing in. I will sand and prime and get most of it hung this weekend.

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-image-765214782.jpg

Need to get a bit for the rosettes.

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-image-2923498180.jpg

I made up the plinths out of 5/4 poplar.

tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victorian cottage - are exposed oak beams true to period? bahamabay08 Remodeling 8 10-08-2012 04:55 PM
My First Bathroom Renovation...Help Needed! JadRutherford Building & Construction 29 07-27-2012 06:49 AM
Complete renovation Curb Feeler Remodeling 18 08-24-2010 05:46 PM
Basement Renovation Planning: Help! navi_jen Plumbing 0 06-16-2010 09:41 AM
The long, dark road of renovation. Curb Feeler Introductions 1 02-03-2009 01:47 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.