Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation

Hello all!!

We bought a 1907 house last fall and started the renovation. I will be posting pics on here. This is going to be a lenghty project.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0444.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0436.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0442.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0438.jpg  

tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

More before pics
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0420.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0421.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0426.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0427.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0429.jpg  

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0443.jpg  

Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

its beautiful the way it is, although i understand why you want to update it. That wallpaper, sheesh. Are you intending to keep the original mouldings and trims or are you updating everything and tossing them? You can clean the paint off and restain them, you can make them fit with an updated motif if you put a little elbow grease.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Colonial Victorian!!! That's a new one.

History lesson time!

"Colonial" is a term thrown around way too much, but literally comes from the time when America was a colony. IE pre-1776. A house doesn't have to be MADE at that time to be called "Colonial" but it should mimic the style, and I can't say I see any colonial style in your home.

Victorian is a similarly well-defined historical era (Queen Victoria, who died in 1901), with a set of architectural rules. Like a "Colonial", you can certainly have a "Victorian-style" house built after 1901, but it has to be pretty obviously attempting to conform to the Victorian architectural style. I'd say it's much less of a stretch to call your home Victorian, given both the timeframe and the style, but it's still a stretch.

/end nerd rant

Your place has a lot of character, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Colonial Victorian!!! That's a new one.

History lesson time!

"Colonial" is a term thrown around way too much, but literally comes from the time when America was a colony. IE pre-1776. A house doesn't have to be MADE at that time to be called "Colonial" but it should mimic the style, and I can't say I see any colonial style in your home.

Victorian is a similarly well-defined historical era (Queen Victoria, who died in 1901), with a set of architectural rules. Like a "Colonial", you can certainly have a "Victorian-style" house built after 1901, but it has to be pretty obviously attempting to conform to the Victorian architectural style. I'd say it's much less of a stretch to call your home Victorian, given both the timeframe and the style, but it's still a stretch.

/end nerd rant

Your place has a lot of character, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thank you for the lesson. I need to spend some more time in the books rather than reading the real estate listing...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #6

The first phase of the project is going to include the following work to the second floor:

1. Removing all plaster (because of the cracks and no insulation)
2. Remove the gas lines for the gas lamps
3. Padd out the walls to 5.5" so I can install R-19
4. Install a sub panel in the attic and run all new electric

The house had gas lamps in every room, only one or two outlets per room, the knob an tube was still live and they used the gas lamps for the electric light fixtures (using the gas line as a ground)
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Here is some of the progress made (around Jan-Feb). The pics show the walls gutted and the start of the padding out of the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0901.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0905.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-img_0865.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Thank you for the lesson. I need to spend some more time in the books rather than reading the real estate listing...
When I went through the househunting process a couple years ago with my girlfriend, who's a historian, I heard that kind of thing non-stop. Now I have Stockholm syndrome.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

We passed the framing, electrical rough, insulation, and plumbing in March.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo4.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo13.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo11.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

We got 102 boards of sheetrock delivered, my goal was to hang it in 9 days (2 weekends and 5 evenings after work). We got it done.

Lowes was much cheaper on the boards than the supply houses (including delivery). The spackle guy I hired (one of the few jobs we contracted out) spent a couple hours with me prior to hanging to show me how to run the roto-zip and seam the boards to his liking.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo10.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo9.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #11

The spackle guy took three weeks to complete the job (I had no problem with this and it was agreed upon up front). So I had some time to do some spring clean up (During the month of April).

These two trees were very overgrown and touching the house and full of pigeons. I decided they had to go and reclaim some lawn area. On a Friday after work I fell the trees and on Saturday I cut them into 4 foot sections and hired a guy to pick up the pile.
Attached Thumbnails
1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo7.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo6.jpg   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation-photo5.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

Very cool! Lots of charm in that house, but yeah, it needs work. Loving your current plans and ideas, I'll follow this!
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
its beautiful the way it is, although i understand why you want to update it. That wallpaper, sheesh. Are you intending to keep the original mouldings and trims or are you updating everything and tossing them? You can clean the paint off and restain them, you can make them fit with an updated motif if you put a little elbow grease.
The mouldings we are going to keep. We are having knives made to run more of it, both base and casing. It is mostly paint grade pine. There is a small amount of chestnut in the house as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #14

Nice house! I see lots of potential in it and it looks like you did too. It seems like it was in perfect condition for a nice restoration, and it's nice that you appear to be restoring it to it's original luster! It's so deceptive when an old house gets remodeled into looking like a space ship on the inside, but still looks old on the outside!

Too bad it wasn't built with hot water or steam heat though, it always makes the drafty old homes more livable in the winter (I don't know if you live in a cold enough climate where that even matters though)
gusherb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
The mouldings we are going to keep. We are having knives made to run more of it, both base and casing. It is mostly paint grade pine. There is a small amount of chestnut in the house as well.
Thats good, i love to see old homes restored but i hate when they are restored to look new instead of reclaiming their original glory. Ill be following this!