DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Project Showcase (http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/)
-   -   1907 Colonial Victorian renovation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/1907-colonial-victorian-renovation-180030/)

tjfslaughter 05-20-2013 11:43 AM

1907 Colonial Victorian renovation
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hello all!!

We bought a 1907 house last fall and started the renovation. I will be posting pics on here. This is going to be a lenghty project.

tjfslaughter 05-20-2013 11:46 AM

6 Attachment(s)
More before pics

TrailerParadise 05-21-2013 09:48 AM

its beautiful the way it is, although i understand why you want to update it. That wallpaper, sheesh. Are you intending to keep the original mouldings and trims or are you updating everything and tossing them? You can clean the paint off and restain them, you can make them fit with an updated motif if you put a little elbow grease.

TheBobmanNH 05-21-2013 10:06 AM

Colonial Victorian!!! That's a new one.

History lesson time!

"Colonial" is a term thrown around way too much, but literally comes from the time when America was a colony. IE pre-1776. A house doesn't have to be MADE at that time to be called "Colonial" but it should mimic the style, and I can't say I see any colonial style in your home.

Victorian is a similarly well-defined historical era (Queen Victoria, who died in 1901), with a set of architectural rules. Like a "Colonial", you can certainly have a "Victorian-style" house built after 1901, but it has to be pretty obviously attempting to conform to the Victorian architectural style. I'd say it's much less of a stretch to call your home Victorian, given both the timeframe and the style, but it's still a stretch.

/end nerd rant

Your place has a lot of character, I can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH (Post 1184016)
Colonial Victorian!!! That's a new one.

History lesson time!

"Colonial" is a term thrown around way too much, but literally comes from the time when America was a colony. IE pre-1776. A house doesn't have to be MADE at that time to be called "Colonial" but it should mimic the style, and I can't say I see any colonial style in your home.

Victorian is a similarly well-defined historical era (Queen Victoria, who died in 1901), with a set of architectural rules. Like a "Colonial", you can certainly have a "Victorian-style" house built after 1901, but it has to be pretty obviously attempting to conform to the Victorian architectural style. I'd say it's much less of a stretch to call your home Victorian, given both the timeframe and the style, but it's still a stretch.

/end nerd rant

Your place has a lot of character, I can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

Thank you for the lesson. I need to spend some more time in the books rather than reading the real estate listing...

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 11:27 AM

The first phase of the project is going to include the following work to the second floor:

1. Removing all plaster (because of the cracks and no insulation)
2. Remove the gas lines for the gas lamps
3. Padd out the walls to 5.5" so I can install R-19
4. Install a sub panel in the attic and run all new electric


The house had gas lamps in every room, only one or two outlets per room, the knob an tube was still live and they used the gas lamps for the electric light fixtures (using the gas line as a ground)

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some of the progress made (around Jan-Feb). The pics show the walls gutted and the start of the padding out of the walls.

TheBobmanNH 05-21-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfslaughter (Post 1184085)
Thank you for the lesson. I need to spend some more time in the books rather than reading the real estate listing...

:laughing: When I went through the househunting process a couple years ago with my girlfriend, who's a historian, I heard that kind of thing non-stop. Now I have Stockholm syndrome.

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 12:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We passed the framing, electrical rough, insulation, and plumbing in March.

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 12:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We got 102 boards of sheetrock delivered, my goal was to hang it in 9 days (2 weekends and 5 evenings after work). We got it done.

Lowes was much cheaper on the boards than the supply houses (including delivery). The spackle guy I hired (one of the few jobs we contracted out) spent a couple hours with me prior to hanging to show me how to run the roto-zip and seam the boards to his liking.

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 12:26 PM

Darn trees
 
3 Attachment(s)
The spackle guy took three weeks to complete the job (I had no problem with this and it was agreed upon up front). So I had some time to do some spring clean up (During the month of April).

These two trees were very overgrown and touching the house and full of pigeons. I decided they had to go and reclaim some lawn area. On a Friday after work I fell the trees and on Saturday I cut them into 4 foot sections and hired a guy to pick up the pile.

Amateuralex 05-21-2013 12:38 PM

Very cool! Lots of charm in that house, but yeah, it needs work. Loving your current plans and ideas, I'll follow this!

tjfslaughter 05-21-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailerParadise (Post 1183998)
its beautiful the way it is, although i understand why you want to update it. That wallpaper, sheesh. Are you intending to keep the original mouldings and trims or are you updating everything and tossing them? You can clean the paint off and restain them, you can make them fit with an updated motif if you put a little elbow grease.

The mouldings we are going to keep. We are having knives made to run more of it, both base and casing. It is mostly paint grade pine. There is a small amount of chestnut in the house as well.

gusherb94 05-22-2013 01:54 AM

Nice house! I see lots of potential in it and it looks like you did too. It seems like it was in perfect condition for a nice restoration, and it's nice that you appear to be restoring it to it's original luster! It's so deceptive when an old house gets remodeled into looking like a space ship on the inside, but still looks old on the outside!

Too bad it wasn't built with hot water or steam heat though, it always makes the drafty old homes more livable in the winter (I don't know if you live in a cold enough climate where that even matters though)

TrailerParadise 05-22-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfslaughter (Post 1184261)
The mouldings we are going to keep. We are having knives made to run more of it, both base and casing. It is mostly paint grade pine. There is a small amount of chestnut in the house as well.

Thats good, i love to see old homes restored but i hate when they are restored to look new instead of reclaiming their original glory. Ill be following this!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved