Wiring For Electric Range (and A Little Plumbing Too) - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

wiring for electric range (and a little plumbing too)

I have not yet purchased my new oven, but I want to get the electrical ready.

My understanding is I need #6 (or maybe just #8) gauge wiring with 2 hots a neutral and a ground, and a 4 prong outlet with 1 round and 3 vertical prongs. and a 50 amp breaker.

I plan on also running new water and a drain line for the dishwasher and layndry washer going on the same wall. is there a minimum distance between these water using apliances and a the high amperage outlet?

Are these outlets generally placed up a bit higher to keep them dry?

Advertisement

Last edited by forresth; 09-17-2010 at 03:20 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

#6 wire for 50 amp

no separation requirements

most ovens have a recessed area in the lower rear to allow for the plug so it doesn't keep the oven away from the wall. Last one I remember, it seems like I had to place the recep as low as I could.

hang on for a few of the other guys that do resi work. In commercial, I don't deal with a lot of oven receps such as this.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
forresth (09-19-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #3

I took a peak behind some oven at the store. you are right, they all had large recess at the bottom.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

My electric wall ovens (one is an Advantium and one is a GE 30 inch wide) were designed to be hard wired to a J Box, no wall plug. That may have been an option, don't know, but in any case I directly wired both of them to their own circuits. Both were 220V with 120V controls. The Advantium required 30A, hence #10 wire, while the oven only required 20A (#12 wire). My cooktop was 40A, hence required #8 wire, also no plug.

I believe some of the European models do not use 120V controls, hence would only require two hots and a ground. I suggest you buy your oven first, then figure out what type of wiring you need.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
My electric wall ovens (one is an Advantium and one is a GE 30 inch wide) were designed to be hard wired to a J Box, no wall plug. That may have been an option, don't know, but in any case I directly wired both of them to their own circuits. Both were 220V with 120V controls. The Advantium required 30A, hence #10 wire, while the oven only required 20A (#12 wire). My cooktop was 40A, hence required #8 wire, also no plug.

I believe some of the European models do not use 120V controls, hence would only require two hots and a ground. I suggest you buy your oven first, then figure out what type of wiring you need.
pretty sure ranges come without a plug so you can get the correct plug for your outlet. Makes sense that a wall oven could be different because they are a bit more permanent. In general, I like building for the future. In this case, that means I won't have to rerun all new wires when the upcomming cheap oven dies at the most inoppertune time. I did pick up some #6 4 wire and a 4 way range outlet, but I started thinking "why not run a sub pannel if you want to run a 50 amp circut anyways, the old box is running out of space for all these dedicated circuts anyways" so I'll have to look into that aspect now.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 77

I would run a white wire because the 120 v. clock and light need a N. and if you change out the range later its there.

Advertisement

jerzeedivr is offline   Reply With Quote