Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

The wife broke garbage disposal.. i think

Hi all. I think the wife broke our garbage disposal, but then again maybe not. She tried to grind up too much leftover beef stew apparently, and it quit working all at once. So the first thing I thought, was that she had tripped the breaker. But upon inspection of the breaker box, none had been tripped. Hmm.

So I checked the outlet that the garbage disposal unit plugs into, and it has no power. My blender won't turn on, when plugged into that outlet. What could be going on here?

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 718

Reset the GFI?

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

In-sinkerators have a built in over load button--on the bottom of the unit--press the red button--also there is a hex opening--bottom center--that is the motor shaft--use an allen wrench (or the tool that came with the machine)--that might break loose whatever jammed the machine.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,090

Plumbers just love garbage disposals.
Makes 0 since to send stuff like that down the drain.
Throw the meat in the trash, compost the veggie's.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Pro

I hate to mention this, but make sure the disposal receptacle is turned on when you test with the blender or other appliance. Been there, not done that, I'm afraid.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Briogaid Dearg

Rewards Points: 25

When mine did that I had to put a stick in jt and rotate the blades backwards then press the reset button underneath the unit itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
originalhandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

So...you have no power at the outlet for the disposal......

Are you SURE no breakers are tripped? Some breakers don't really move much when tripped. The only real way to know is to try to move the handle. Breakers that are set, don't move....Breakers that are tripped will have some movement.

You will understand once you have done this a couple of times.

If you in fact don't have any tripped breakers, then it gets more difficult. You have to trace back where the power for the outlet comes from. If it's a dedicated ckt, if you have power at the breaker, then you might have a bad connection at the outlet.

Voltmeter time.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #8

Well I did as you guys said, and reset the little red switch on the bottom of the unit. Then I used the allen wrench to work it back and forth and clear the jam. Didn't feel like there was much of a jam, but oh well. Then I plugged it back in and it works. Which is odd, because other devices don't seem to want to work on that particular outlet. But the garbage disposal does. Not sure what's going on with that.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bennylava For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-04-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Was there and obvious click when you pushed in the red reset button? If so..that was your problem....

As for testing the outlet...were you turning on the switch when you tested?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Hi all. I think the wife broke our garbage disposal, but then again maybe not. She tried to grind up too much leftover beef stew apparently, and it quit working all at once. So the first thing I thought, was that she had tripped the breaker. But upon inspection of the breaker box, none had been tripped. Hmm.

So I checked the outlet that the garbage disposal unit plugs into, and it has no power. My blender won't turn on, when plugged into that outlet. What could be going on here?
i would turn off the breaker that feed's that outlet, take the receptial out and inspeck the wires, if they pushed them in instead of around the screw's , that may be your problum, may have to get a new receptial , if that is what happen, it may have got hot and lost the tention in their for the wires if that is where they are, cant see it from here, just thanking here , also if you have a volt meter , now have some one turn on the breaker and measure the voltage on the 2 wires, now be carful here , if you don't know much about this don't do this ,,
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Well I did as you guys said, and reset the little red switch on the bottom of the unit. Then I used the allen wrench to work it back and forth and clear the jam. Didn't feel like there was much of a jam, but oh well. Then I plugged it back in and it works. Which is odd, because other devices don't seem to want to work on that particular outlet. But the garbage disposal does. Not sure what's going on with that.
i made another post ? did you plug the light or radio in the exact outlet ?? if not it may not be hot at the top or at the bottom, they may only made one hot ?? check the other post and check the receptial from the back and see where the wires are
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Plumbers just love garbage disposals.
Makes 0 since to send stuff like that down the drain.
Throw the meat in the trash, compost the veggie's.
I know quite a few plumbers, one of which has been in business for 40 years that personally use disposals in their homes.

So yes, plumbers just love disposals.

I use one because I hate having maggots and stinky garbage in the summer and because of one, I do not. Use plenty of water when grinding and pipe the drain correctly and you will never have a problem.

To the OP as others have said, sounds like a GFCI tripped. I ran a separate circuit to the disposal to avoid this.
Can you take pictures of the install showing the disposal and any wiring to it that you can see?
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:

If you are mixing drinks down underneath your sink cabinet.... maybe its you that is the problem......

Best..... Good 4th