DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Appliances (
-   -   Who do you call? (

Heidi Kellner 08-22-2012 10:08 AM

Who do you call?
We want to replace an island stove with a self standing unit. (Gas). The location will change (about 5 feet). Everything is easily accessible under the floor via the ceiling of the basement -but I have no idea who to call to mess with gas lines. If I'm moving a gas line five feet or so do I need the gas company to shut off my gas at the meter before hand?


drtbk4ever 08-22-2012 10:14 AM

I called my plumbing and gas guy to come and do any natural gas work. They obtained the required permits and did everything. All I had to do was schedule the inpection.

hardwareman 08-22-2012 08:41 PM

a plumber should be able to handle that job

shadytrake 08-22-2012 09:57 PM

We did something similar. The plumber took care of the permit and the inspection. If I remember correctly, we called MLGW to turn off the gas on the day the plumber scheduled and the plumber had them turn it back on for the inspection. I don't fool with gas lines. Not my thing.

Heidi Kellner 08-23-2012 08:06 AM

Plumber does gas
Thanks and you are all correct. I called my plumber and he said he can set up my stove in a different place, no problem. Luckily I have a good plumber.

DangerMouse 08-23-2012 09:29 AM

I ran all of my own gas lines when I added the new kitchen. I hooked up the stove and then capped off the furnace line until it was to be installed. Everything is done now, it was inspected and passed, of course.
This IS a DIY site, but we're happy you got the job done. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1