Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Share |

whirlpool washer doesn't agitate

Hi , my top loading whirlpool drains and spins fine but doesn't agitate. When I advance the timer to where it should agitate, the timer buzzes badly. I think it's probably a bad timer , but hate to buy one and that not be the problem. So any ideas on an alternative cause ? Thanks for any help

1eyedjack666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack666 View Post
So any ideas on an alternative cause ?
check the "agitator dogs".

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #3

What are "Agitator Dogs?" They sound like a new Discovery Channel reality show!
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

does it not agitate at all, no noise no nothing? If so it probably is the timer.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

When I had a Whirlpool washer, I ended up replacing the agitator dogs. They are inside the agitator and get worn (made of plastic or nylon?) and will either skip or bind. Mine were skipping. Even if it's your timer, it'd be a good idea to replace those dogs. They aren't very expensive.

On a sidenote, it may be a good idea to take apart the agitator and make sure there isn't something foreign binding it.
jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
What are "Agitator Dogs?" They sound like a new Discovery Channel reality show!
They are the plastic & Rubber pieces between the transmission and shaft. They are called "Motor Couplings", not Agitator dogs.

If it is not the motor couplings, that is the OP problem, then most likely their transmission is shot. Usual signs are oil stains underneath the washer. Overloading the machine, or letting it run with a offset load, will tear up the motor couplings and transmission quicker then anything.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack666 View Post
Hi , my top loading whirlpool drains and spins fine but doesn't agitate. When I advance the timer to where it should agitate, the timer buzzes badly. I think it's probably a bad timer , but hate to buy one and that not be the problem. So any ideas on an alternative cause ? Thanks for any help
Please post how old washer is and model number. Thanks. I agree with the above posts, possibly bad timer or needs agitator rebuild kit. I rebuilt my agitator, but you can replace just the dogs if you like. The whole kit is inexpensive and easy to do (click on link below). This may or may not be your problem, IDK. But I would start at the agitator first and make sure everything is good to go before replacing timer switch or other expensive parts. Just a thought. Thanks.

click here for whirpool agitator rebuild kit installation video

Last edited by jmon; 11-16-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added picture of agitator dogs
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

jmon, the Transmission or Motor coupling will actually go before the agitator cams will. Only way to tear up the agitator cams, is if you use stuff in your machine, that will degrade the plastic, or have a direct couple transmission that does not use the rubber & plastic coupling, then yes you may tear up those cams.

As for the timer, yes it may be bad, but you would have to have nothing working on any setting, if you have already ruled out the coupling or transmission.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Good point Gregzoll, I never thought of that. Just trying to save op money.That must of been what happened to mine because my agitator cam was diffinately all torn up and needed rebuilding. The dogs were almost non-existant. Been working ever since.

Last edited by jmon; 11-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

i had a whirlpool washer. yes, they were called "agitator dogs". yes, they were worn out.
replacing them fixed it just fine.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i had a whirlpool washer. yes, they were called "agitator dogs". yes, they were worn out.
replacing them fixed it just fine.
Not denying that they do not get worn down. I have found on a couple of my machines, the motor coupling has always gone first, before the agitator cams do. Usually the cams will wear out or break, if someone overloads the tub, or something gets caught underneath between the shaft & agitator.

The bad thing is that some companies will not even replace the cams, they will just replace the whole agitator, so that they can make more money.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #12

Just for self-clarification on the subject, an agitator, will only have agitator dogs if it has a split agitator? and they would be located in the agitator, itself (as opposed to the gearcase)?
DeviantDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Civil Engineer

I have a Sears Kenmore washer, and the agitator dogs recently had to be replaced. They cost me about $6.00 for the dogs, and $7 for shipping. Go figure. Anyway, I ordered the parts from Sears, and they shipped generic agitator dogs made by Whirlpool, which fit perfectly. In my machine, there is a splined shaft that runs vertically through the tub, and the agitator is attached to the shaft. I could tell that the dogs were bad because the shaft turned, but not the agitator. Replacement required removal of the entire agitator assembly, which required use of a 7/16 socket. The dogs themselves were broken into small pieces, but there is no indication that the transmission itself is bad.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote