Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Whirlpool Side By Side Not Making Ice Anymore!!

The icemaker for my Stainless Steel Side by Side Whirlpool refrigerator is crapping out on me. Model # is GS5SHGXL501 and was manufactured on 2/03. Very little ice is being made these last few days, and production is decreasing by day. I saw on the Whirlpool website that I can buy an icemaker. Has anyone removed and installed one of these before?

I'm good at tinkering, but if this is a time consuming job, I don't want to waste time and have the fridge shut down while I try to figure things out. Also, instead of probing through and troubleshooting the existing ice maker, I'm hoping a full replacement will eliminate the problem. I'm assuming all electrical connections are via snap connectors and water connections are via basic twist valves.

Whirlpool's website does not include a pdf file showing the instructions, that that's why I'm here now, to see if anyone's done this before. Cost of icemaker is around $100 off their website, while cost to just have a repair guy to drive to my house is $65, and that amount won't be credited to my cost if I proceed with the repair. Thanks ahead of time!

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #2

Hi,

Quote:
GS5SHGXL501
That is likely GS5SHGXLS01

Quote:
Very little ice is being made these last few days, and production is decreasing by day.
Low water pressure ( tired filter, kinked line, clogged fill valve, clogged shut off valve ), bad icemaker, freezer temp ( must get below 15F ) are some common trouble makers.

Quote:
I saw that I can buy an icemaker. Has anyone removed and installed one of these before?
Many...but each years style is getting to be different nowadays. Fairly easy job to R&R the icemaker. It is held to the freezer wall with 2-3 screws.

Replacement Icemaker mechanism used on GS5SHGXLS01

jeff.

www.jrappliance.ca
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

Overall, the refrigerator is fine. The temperature does not seem to be the problem, the water filter has been replaced (no problems with drinking water from fridge), and none of the lines on the oustide are kinked as the fridge has not been moved. Is it possible to kink lines on the inside of the fridge when storing food?

I think what I will do is this following test that I found on the net, which involves disassembling the solenoid valve and cleaning the filter and checking the resistance of solenoid valve. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I got a blister while poking around the icemaker and accidentally touching the cold element. Hope this means it's just a clogged water line.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...t/1276061.html
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Is it possible to kink lines on the inside of the fridge when storing food?
Not normally no.

Quote:
I think what I will do is this following test that I found on the net, which involves disassembling the solenoid valve and cleaning the filter and checking the resistance of solenoid valve.
Checking resistance is good, but the fill valve can pass a continuity test but still fail mechanically.....your valve won't come apart like the one in the acticle....the article shows an older style.

Water inlet valve kit with new quick connections

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #5

If my valve won't come apart as easily, will I still have access to the filter element somehow and be able to put it back together?

My icemaker is now for all intents and purposes dead. Less and less water was entering the tray to the point where almost no more water is entering the icemaker as ice production has ground to a halt. I poked my finger in to check. Based on this, would you say that the valve is more likely to be dead rather than the ice maker itself?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
If my valve won't come apart as easily, will I still have access to the filter element somehow and be able to put it back together?
??
The refrigerators water filter?

Quote:
My icemaker is now for all intents and purposes dead. Less and less water was entering the tray to the point where almost no more water is entering the icemaker as ice production has ground to a halt
Some not filling with water...
http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker.html#water

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #7

No, what I meant was the filter element in the solenoid in the fill valve, whether it's difficult to access this element by taking the fill valve apart.

I live in a relatively new house, and upon further inspection, there is a dedicated water line for the refrigerator. Therefore, there was no self piercing shut off valve that was installed onto a copper pipe. In fact, the house for the most part has the flowguard pvc piping, so the self piercing shut off valve would probably not work.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8

Newer valves aren't meant to come apart.

Quote:
so the self piercing shut off valve would probably not work.
Good, not used

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #9

The water inlet valve with the QD's that you have linked earlier, does the it not come with regular twist connections anymore?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
The water inlet valve with the QD's that you have linked earlier, does the it not come with regular twist connections anymore?
Most valves today are the push in connectors without the screw on nuts.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #11

I assume for safety reasons, these valves fail shut. Also, does the kit contain QD adapters to fit into my existing screw on supply line? Does the kit come with the extra tubing shown in the picture?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
does the kit contain QD adapters to fit into my existing screw on supply line?
Most fill valves do not come with the nut and olive for the copper/plastic supply lines. SS line will thread right on without any fittings. Comes with a thread protector.

Quote:
Does the kit come with the extra tubing shown in the picture?
That is what is shows yes.

and instructions.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #13

So, I'm not getting any water in the ice maker reservoir. When there was water (my finger in the reservoir to check), the ice maker made ice. You think this fill valve is most likely the culprit?

I peeked behind the fridge and saw the dedicated supply line. There was a braided extension hose that connects to the fill valve in the fridge. Are the instructions available online via a pdf file?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
You think this fill valve is most likely the culprit?
When the icemaker goes through it's cycle/havest and power ( 100-110 volts ) is found at the fill valve but no water flows, bad fill valve is very likely yes...we would normally then check for ice in the fill tube and elbow ( mentioned at the link ) and if clear, change out the fill valve and retest.

Quote:
Are the instructions available online via a pdf file?
For the fill valve repalcement? I doubt it.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #15

I pulled the refrigerator back and noticed that the top of the tube feeding the fill spout had water up to the top with air at the very top. I removed the fill inlet valve, took it apart, and clearly it's not a solenoid filter problem. If it was, then I would not be getting water or ice, as there is a single supply port that feeds both ice and water solenoids. I have no water problems, just water supply for ice.

I measured the resistance for the ice solenoid and it's 170 ohms, which is below the 200-500 range as reported by Popular Mechanics, assuming this applies to my fill valve also. Voltage across the water solenoid is 4.2 volts without the water lever depressed, 120 volts depressed which is good. Voltage across the ice solenoid is 2.8 volts with the ice arm up or down (ON position).

Based on this, I suspect that the icemaker is not telling the solenoid valve to open to allow water to enter the tray because voltage remains constant whether the icemaker arm is up or down. Does this mean the icemaker is kaput, not the inlet valve?

I double checked the serial #'s and they are as follows:

Fridge: GS5SHGXLS01
Inlet valve: Model X72, Part # 2205762

Last edited by handy man88; 01-25-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: update