Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool refrigerator leaking

I have a Whirlpool Gold Series refrigerator model# GI7FVCXWB00 that is leaking from underneath in the back. It leaks approx 1/3 cup daily. I clean it up when I come in from work and leaks again the next day while I'm at work. I disconnected the water supply but still leaks. I'm attaching a pic of a part where the leak puddles up in the general area of this part. Could you give me the name of the part, its function and if it could be the cause of the leak.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

RayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...er-GI7FVCXWB00

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

maybe its just me but I can not enlarge your photo to tell what it is. Can you repost?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

[QUOTE=joecaption;1165201]http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Refrigerator/59-5-704400-/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-leaking-water-GI7FVCXWB0
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

This is the result of defrosting, which is controlled by an automatic cycle, about every 24 hours. The ice forms on the coils inside, usually between the freezer and main refrigerator compartments, and there are channels for the condensate down to near floor level in back.

Is (was) there a tray underneath that is supposed to catch the water?

Dust and sediment can also perturb the flow path of the condensate so it misses a tray and ends up on the floor.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-23-2013 at 07:40 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

I'm pretty sure that the pic I posted is a water inlet valve. I ruled it out by pulling it out and leaving out from underneath so if it was leaking it would leak directly onto the floor. I left the cover off and have been watching the last couple days. I observe water in the condensation pan but some water is getting outside the pan even though it isn't full and into the steel bottom of the refrig between plastic pan and compressor. I suspected a crack even though I dried the pan out and couldn't see one. I put some clear silicone sealant where I thought a crack might be and will find out this afternoon if it helped.

Thanks for all the help so far. Those I great links that were posted
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

FYI, the leak was from a cracked drip pan. Removed and replaced, so far no more leaking. Thanks for the posts because they really did help this DIY'er

Thanks again!