Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

whirlpool refrigerator has broken filter

I have a Whirlpool Gold GD5SHAXNQ00 refrigerator that has a broken water filter. I'm not actually sure how it broke- we walked into the kitchen and there was water pouring out of the front where the filter goes and the filter was broken off. 3/4 of the filter comes out but the top and furhtest part of the filter is still stuck inside of it's housing. is there a way to get this out with calling a repair man? I have taken out the 2 screws that hold the housing but it doesn't come all the way out b/c the water lines are attached to the back of it.

thanks

stouron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stouron For This Useful Post:
fico (06-22-2010)
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #2

I have had the same thing happen...anyone have an answer?

hinerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouron View Post
I have a Whirlpool Gold GD5SHAXNQ00 refrigerator that has a broken water filter. I'm not actually sure how it broke- we walked into the kitchen and there was water pouring out of the front where the filter goes and the filter was broken off. 3/4 of the filter comes out but the top and furhtest part of the filter is still stuck inside of it's housing. is there a way to get this out with calling a repair man? I have taken out the 2 screws that hold the housing but it doesn't come all the way out b/c the water lines are attached to the back of it.

thanks
I have just opened my mountain home after being shut down for the winter and found my filter broken (had been frozen) - I am not able to remove the old (remaining) nozzle imbedded in the housing. Did you find a solution to your problem - I hate calling a plumber. Any help - Please. Welshwiz
welshwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #4

Thumbs down

I have the same problem - and there does not seem to be a good answer! Anyone??? Have to bite the bullet and replace the part I guess? Pretty Crappy Design...
jasont_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

What a crappy design. I have issues with my GE Arctica, but at least the filter is inside the fridge and easily accessible. That Whirlpool unit - phew.

If that were my fridge, I'd take the front grill off and start removing parts until I got back there and took the whole housing out. What ever it took, I'd get it done. Those things got put together, so they have to come apart. The exploded views in your parts manual are a good guide for the order of disassembly and assembly. It's available on Whirlpool's web site. I just looked at it.

But before I did that, I'd try to make up some sort of tool to unscrew the filter housing. Can't be any harder than backing out a snapped off pipe nipple in the pouring rain, kneeling in mud (pool pump multi-valve inlet fitting off the pump let go on me Saturday afternoon).

Can you take a quick couple pictures and show me what you're up against? What's the inside of the filter canister look like? If you were my neighbor, I'd be over at your house in a heartbeat, and after 15 minutes of wrestling it out you'd be pouring me shots of Slovakian brandy (I love my neighbor).
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I don't have a problem with a Whirlpool refrigerator but along the same lines I had a problem with a particular water heater a few months ago. I did a "Google" search for the brand and model number of this water heater and found that there had been many complaints as the one I was having. It turns out that there were a bad batch of circuit boards on these units and the manufacturer was replacing the boards even after the warranty had expired. No way to know this without this search. Could you own a refrigerator that is under some type of recall but have not been notified, which may include a repairman call? Check it out, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

I removed a stuck Whirlpool refrigerator filter once. It had been forcefully turned the wrong way in an attempt to remove it, and the outer part broke off.
A. Turn off the water and put a towel down. The filter will leak a bit.
B. Stick a BBQ fork into the filter itself, and turn it out with a wrench on the fork.
Came right out.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG did you just say FORK the FILTER????????????????:laughin g:
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Long-Time DIYer

Yep.
I tried every way that I could think of to snag that filter (with completely broken off plastic slide bar on outer end) so I could turn it out and just couldn't grab it with anything.
I finally drilled a couple of pilot holes with a battery-operated drill (a little pressurized water shot out... don't use a plugged-in drill) and got a large BBQ fork and just forked it. Then I turned it out with channel locks or a crescent wrench on the flat fork handle (can't remember which), but it worked. The filter turned and came right out.
Where there's a will, there's a way. FORK IT!
ROFLMAO!
I'll bet you that Whirlpool doesn't have THAT in their "How To Change A Filter" manual. Only a true redneck would think of such. LOL
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-06-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Custom Cabinet Maker

Mike dats why we luvs ya LOL LOL U got da right attitude :}:}:}:}
Did You get my PM?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Long-Time DIYer

Yes, skymaster...may the farce be with you.
That fork came with a BBQ set that I've had for many years. I had never used it before (redneck cookbook rule: never puncture meat when grilling unless it's still alive). Now I've found the sole good use for a BBQ fork...a "filter fork" for forking filters. Wonder what we could get on ebay for a certified filter fork? A forking fortune no doubt is in the making. I can see all of the forking possibilities now. A filter forking infomercial by George Carlin or Richard Pryor (if they weren't already dead) for instance.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Custom Cabinet Maker

Mike; I will be in ur state Sat and Sun how far r u from the FORK in da road in zebulon :}:}:}? Back in town from Thurs thru Fri nite. If n wanna try to get in contact PM me with a number :}:}
Feel the Farce Oh Forkin Master
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #13

this idea sounds like it will work for me but can't find info on how to turn the water off to the filter. have a kitchenaid side by side.
chagrinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #14

thanks for having the suggestion on line about using my power drill. did not even need the two pronged fork - the drill got the grip and the filter slid right out. thank!!!!!!!!!!!! saved money on a plumber.
chagrinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #15

Just want to say thanks to Mike Swearingen for the BBQ fork hint.

The tip from my filter broke off inside my fridge. I removed the plastic grille cover, unscrewed the two screws holding the filter housing in place, pulled the filter housing out as far as it would go, and ultimately I stuck a BBQ skewer in there. I got it under the flat portion of the tip and twisted until it shot out of the housing. If that tip was an entire circle instead of a semi-circle I would have been screwed.

D2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote