Whirlpool Range Oven Temp Swing - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool Range Oven Temp Swing

What is the expected temperature swing in an electric Whirlpool stand alone range?

Advertisement

horrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

depends on the thermometer being used, a regular oven thermometer it should stay within 5 degrees.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
depends on the thermometer being used, a regular oven thermometer it should stay within 5 degrees.
I am using a $30 Pyrex thermometer where you do not have to open the oven to read it. My swing is about +/- 30F
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
I have an inexpensive thermometer that hangs from the oven rack so it can be read without opening the door. My oven also stays within 5 degrees, but no more than 10 degrees of the set temperature. I have a Kenmore, but I think it is a Whirlpool product.

David
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

far to much, you either have a bad sensor or a bad thermostat, depending on model.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like burnt cookies to me

Mark
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

But I agree with hardware man on the sensor
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #8

I decided to call Whirlpool and ask them the question on the oven temp swing. As usual, I was disappointed in their help. Not a clue. No specification available. It would be nice to find a design engineer in the right department. I am sure there is a spec some place. Further, it would be neat if I could find a service manual which would provide voltage or resistance readings for various temperatures.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

you haven't posted a model # but I'm just going to throw this out for reference. If you stove has a temp sensor and not a thermostat, the ohms readings for the sensor would be approx:

room temp 1000 ohms
300 degrees 1550 ohms
350 degrees 1650 ohms
400 degrees 1750 ohms
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
you haven't posted a model # but I'm just going to throw this out for reference. If you stove has a temp sensor and not a thermostat, the ohms readings for the sensor would be approx:

room temp 1000 ohms
300 degrees 1550 ohms
350 degrees 1650 ohms
400 degrees 1750 ohms
Looks like it is linear. My model is GFE461LVB 0. If the temp sensor is okay, then it may be a hysteresis problem with the temp controller.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #11

I obtained the technical service info for my range. The temperature adjustment instructions do not match that of the owners manual and do something different. I went into diagnostics and found that the oven sensor is measuring ambient temp at about 12-14 F low. I believe this reading is independent of the calibration adjust and not affected by such. This may be why I had to adjust the temp calibration the other day to a minus 30F. I believe even though the temp sensor may have drifted, it still may be working correctly as far as temp changes. Not sure though. So, at this point, if the temp differential should be less than +/- 30F then it still could be either the temp sensor or the control board. I would hate to buy a board at about $150 and find out no difference, but I might go for the $50 temp sensor.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

did you ohm the sensor?? If the sensor ohm out correctly then you need to replace the board.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

I think you are over analyzing this. Here is how you check the temp of oven with a thermocouple probe type thermometer.
Preheat oven to 350 let it cycle 2 times
take temp reading at its high point then take temp reading a low point, do this twice.
average out the results: example oven cycles at high point of 360 low point 345 first reading
second reading 362 high 348 low add them all together for a total of 1415 degress divide by 4 = 353.75 degress. That would be dead on balls accurate. You should be able to recalibrate your electronic control + - 25 degrees. If its over 25 degrees off set temp then ohm out sensor with the measurements I posted before.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #14

Quote:
I think you are over analyzing this. Here is how you check the temp of oven with a thermocouple probe type thermometer.
Preheat oven to 350 let it cycle 2 times
take temp reading at its high point then take temp reading a low point, do this twice.
average out the results: example oven cycles at high point of 360 low point 345 first reading
second reading 362 high 348 low add them all together for a total of 1415 degress divide by 4 = 353.75 degress. That would be dead on balls accurate. You should be able to recalibrate your electronic control + - 25 degrees. If its over 25 degrees off set temp then ohm out sensor with the measurements I posted before.
I will ohm out tomorrow. I can recalibrate +/- 30F and I know I can achieve the average temp to be at the set point, but, I want to know what temp variation is acceptable. My high to low is about 60F.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

60 degree swing is not acceptable you must have a bad sensor.

Advertisement