Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |

Whirlpool Gold Series Automatic Ice Dispensor issues

I've been reading as many posts as I could about this and I may have overlooked the one I need to read, but here is my issue.

Orginally
- Ice would not release after frozen.

Did a lot of research, pulled unit and checked the test points for ohms from another site, mulitple failures and the teflon was peeling away very badly, (really not to excited about this fact that I've been having pieces of teflon in my ice)!! So ordered a new unit, wouldn't fill with water so another thread said to fill it manually??!! I did this and it kicked out the first batch, filled the tray, froze the water....and just stayed that way. Didn't have time to troubleshoot it, so let it be for a few days.

Then I was in the freezer and closed the door, few minutes later I heard the cubes dump in the hopper. So I know the water filling is working, it's a new dispensor, it has the "infrared system" for detecting hopper level, but not sure if that is the problem or know how to simulate it to see if it's working. I have engaged the flappy on the infrared system on the left side of the freezer and held the door switch closed, but nothing happens. Any ideas out there or point me to a thread I may have missed that has my issue. Thanks!

akicelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

the key to this one is the infrared lights. While holding the flapper shut on the right side and holding the door switch look at the red light on the left side sensor. It should be a steady on. Steady on means the sensor is working ok. Let me know as there are other test you can do.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

I thought that was the key to this, but not sure how the system worked. When it is open the right side light flashes twice and hitting the door switch and IR flapper it goes out. I just did not know if I was suppose to see the light beam coming from the left side.

I have the manual you for it and it does have a test for the older version of my frig by not for my specific option, (ice and water in the door). My next approach was to remove the left side panel (my left, frig's right) and look at the panel. BTW, my left and right references are with me facing the frig...so we are talking about the same thing. The light is off and give the two flashes when the door is open. I did read or see something about hitting the door switch 3 times and doing something else and count the flashes, but lost that thread information. Hope I gave you enough info. Not going to dive into this and just chase my tail.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by akicelander View Post
I thought that was the key to this, but not sure how the system worked. When it is open the right side light flashes twice and hitting the door switch and IR flapper it goes out. I just did not know if I was suppose to see the light beam coming from the left side.

light should not go out, it should be on steady.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

Alright, thanks...I'll tear into the sending unit first. I wonder if I took my headlamp with the red lense or a laser pointer and shined it on the sending unit to see if that would trigger the system.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

no light replace both boards