Whirlpool Frig Gold Edition, Ice Make Not Workingr: - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
OCP

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool Frig Gold Edition, Ice make not workingr:

I just changed the water filter and ice maker did not start up. ice box in door is empty. Any suggestions

Advertisement

OCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Do you also have a place for chilled water in the door?
If so see if water comes out there.
Include the model and serial number of the ref. so some knows what unit your talking about.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Icemaker does not appear to be calling for water. Normally I hear the sound of water being released through the supply to fill the ice unit. I am wondering if there is a valve that may be closed or a sending unit that is not reacting to the need for water. Any ideas?
Zubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

There are a few things it could be: Bad Icemaker, Frozen fill tube, broken 1/4'' plastic lines that run RIGHT behind the compressor heat up, get brittle and crack. Or Bad watervalve.

Do you know how to run the diagnostic on the icemaker? If the icemaker is turning and the heater isn't stuck on it might be your watervalve.

There is a Jumper tool you can easily build to send power to your water valve in the back of the fridge to call for water.

Get some female spade terminals, wire up any old spare regular 110V household plug you have lieing around. Crimp on a couple female spade terminals on the end. Then add a switch of some sort (in order to test the valve) in the middle.
Now you can plugthe 2 female spades onto the water valve on the back of your fridge, and the power cord into the wall. Hit the switch to feed power to the water valve... you should be sending water !
If you are now feeding water, you have a bad Icemaker. If you hear the valve buzzing and no water is coming out, you have to further investigate. Pull the plastic lines OFF the OUTLET side of the valve....see if any water is coming out. If not, Go turn your water OFF. Then pull the hard line off the watervalve and see if the screens on the valve are CLOGGED or if you even have water coming there in the first place !

Good luck ! Lemme know if you have questions.

Last edited by lewisthepilgrim; 05-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply--I will need a few hours to get the things you recommend. I hope I dont lose interest although I appreciate your suggestions.
Zubu is offline   Reply With Quote