Whirlpool Dryer - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool Dryer

I need some help!! My dryer was making clinging sound lately so I decided to open it up to see what the problem was. Upon opening I noticed that a piece of sheet metal (3.5in x 18in) had fallen from the top. It was attached by double sided tape. There is also a similar piece on both side panels and on the drum itself. What is the purpose of this sheet metal? I called several places (including the mfg) but they have no idea as it is not on the drawings. I want to re-install it so I am looking for a flame retardant double-sided tape. If anyone can tell me what the purpose of that piece is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

tbar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #2

Whirlpool Dryer

whirlpool dryer is very usefull house hold item

Huntsville Home Improvement

Advertisement

Last edited by albert15; 08-30-2011 at 06:59 AM.
albert15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #3

Whirlpool Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar79
I need some help!! My dryer was making clinging sound lately so I decided to open it up to see what the problem was. Upon opening I noticed that a piece of sheet metal (3.5in x 18in) had fallen from the top. It was attached by double sided tape. There is also a similar piece on both side panels and on the drum itself. What is the purpose of this sheet metal? I called several places (including the mfg) but they have no idea as it is not on the drawings. I want to re-install it so I am looking for a flame retardant double-sided tape. If anyone can tell me what the purpose of that piece is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I took pictures so that you may have a better idea.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

Whirlpool Dryer

those strips are typically used to prevent "oil canning" of the flimsy sheet metal sides and tops. I've seen the insides of many many dryers but I can't recall ever seeing that strip on the drum.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Whirlpool Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman
those strips are typically used to prevent "oil canning" of the flimsy sheet metal sides and tops. I've seen the insides of many many dryers but I can't recall ever seeing that strip on the drum.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It does make a lot of sense. I also question why they would add one on the drum. Again, thank you. Much appreciated.