Whirlpool Dishwasher TCO Blown - Regular Fuse? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Whirlpool Dishwasher TCO Blown - Regular Fuse?

I just replaced the heating element on our Whirlpool dishwasher (maybe 6 years old)...was running a load Thur night....everything looked great....looks like it got through just about all the cycles...nice are warm...

Then it died....I was looking at it when it did....dead....no power....checked the breaker...fine...

Pulled off the panel last night...the TCO (Thermal Cut Out) is open. Called the applicance parts store today....they want $29 for that part. It's just a bloody fuse in a fancy case. GMAFB.

So...decision time....if I replace the part and it works fine after that....great...but if I replace the fuse and it blows again....well.....at $29 a pop (pun intended), troubleshooting can get expensive.....

Any reason I can't use a regular fuse? I have plenty of automotive fuses with the blades that look like it would work fine.....I figure a 15A is big enough....any smaller and I doubt it could handle the inrush....

Is there something 'special' about the TCO? Long blow curve? (automotive fuses tend to be fast blow)

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,052

TCO (thermal cut out) blows when temps exceed normal operating temps. Automotive fuse blows when amperage exceeds normal operating amperage. Putting an automotive fuse in your dishwasher will not protect it in anyway. Buy the kit as it also comes with new wires, I've never had a repeat call when doing it this way.

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
JOATMON

Ok....I could understand putting a TCO down in the washer tub....but up in the control head?

How often do they blow?

I went ahead and made up a pig tail and wired in an automotive fuse. Have ran several cycles without any issues...

At this point, I'm not so hesitant to replace it with the proper part seeing how the dishwasher 'appears' to be working correctly now. But I would still like to know why the TCO failed.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
custom user

Rewards Points: 150

It would open from excessive heat, not current. Heat rises so that would explain why it's mounted high up. Why it opened in the first place would be my main concern, are you sure the element is a direct replacement and working within specs?
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
JOATMON

We matched it by model #. Looks the same.....and I don't feel the heat is any higher that before. We can put plastic items on the bottom rach and they are not melting......yet.