DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Whirlpool Cabrio Washer WTW7340XW0 Sounds Like a Jet during Spin

46K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DanS26 
#1 ·
Any insight would be helpful. I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Top Loader, WTW7340XW0 model we bought in June of 2010. Has been a great washer up until about a week or so ago. It started making a loud spinning noise during the spin cycle. Well two nights ago it sounded like a jet was going to take off. I thought the other times (maybe 3 or so) was because it wasn't full enough.

Of course we are out of warranty...what could this be? Is there anything special to look for? We are fairly handy and would like to fix it ourselves if possible.

Please help! Thank you!!!

#5 ·
you have a tub bearing going out, the only fix is to replace the tub because Whirlpool will not make available a kit to replace just the bearing. this repair will run you in the $400 RANGE

#6 ·
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear since we are in the midst of a major remodel.

repiped with pex
new windows
paint
stucco
roof
kitchen/appliances
list goes on and on...

ugh... Now I guess I get to go shopping for a new clothes washer.

Thanks again, I love this forum!

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. I just called an appliance repair guy and he said I would be throwing good money after bad to repair this washer. He said Whirlpool is good if it has a "mechanical timer" and a "direct drive". Well what model top loader would that be? Does anyone know?

Since the hubby and children would like clean clothes (I have enough to keep me going for awhile :) and I could use the break from the laundry...) I need to figure this out soon.

Yes my dryer is working great still too!!!

Thanks for any input on what you feel is a good washer out there. I thought I had a good one :(.

#12 ·
My wife finally got sick of our Kenmore Elite front load washer. It was expensive and looks kind of cool but it barely uses any water and as a result, the clothes didn't come out as clean as they should. She put up with it for 7 years and decided to buy a new washer this past Saturday. Lowes delivered it on Sunday so we've had it for 3 days now. Obviously I can't comment on reliability or anything like that but so far she loves it, the clothes come out clean and the laundry tub fills almost all the way to the top when it drains. Towels smell good again. This is a GE model with a rotary electromechanical timer. No lights, no beeping, just basic clothes washing and old school features. If it lasts at least five years I'll be a happy camper too. :yes:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GLWN2800DWS

#10 ·
Well, you guys will love this...

I "chatted" with Whirlpool to see if there was anything they could do, no they just reminded be the warranty was one year. Knew that info thank you very much but they said I could call their "Repair Plus One" warranty which would cover the current repair plus one year warranty. Wow I thought let's give them a call that would be good if it wasn't too much.

Ha ha ha, the lady said she couldn't send anyone out under the reason for the jet engine noise. Said it had to be something specific, like not cycling, etc. Still couldn't give me a price if it was something else. Then she said to just use it until it dies and then call her for the repair...and warranty and oh still can't give me a price.

Seriously???!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.