DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Appliances (
-   -   Where can I find an 8 ft rigid vent duct for gas dryer? (

Eagle One 10-03-2013 10:07 PM

Where can I find an 8 ft rigid vent duct for gas dryer?
Seems like a lot of sources recommend getting the rigid aluminum vent ducts versus the flexible metal ones for gas dryers and yet my internet searches are coming up empty on these for sale except for periscope type ones and they are usually not long enough. I need at least 7.5 ft from the bottom of the dyer to the elbow that leads to the outdoors.

Arlo 10-03-2013 10:14 PM

In Home Depot in the HVAC section they sell the duct as flat sheets that you bend around and they have a catch that holds it in place. You will probably have to buy a couple of shorter sections and join them with clamps or aluminum tape. You aren't supposed to put screws in them. The elbows are sold fully assembled; round not flat.

mikegp 10-04-2013 09:33 AM

The longest sections I've seen are 6ft. Just cut the second piece to size and use a crimper to make it slide into the next piece.

RoyalAcresRod 10-04-2013 09:37 AM

If you've never assembled that type of pipe, it can be a real pain. I've found the easiest way is to kneel on the floor with the pipe between your legs. Be aware of getting the ends lined up as you "stitch" it together. If you don't it's easy to get the ends not straight.

Eagle One 10-04-2013 11:55 AM

What about a duct that is not circular but more rectangular? Where can I find something like that?

RoyalAcresRod 10-04-2013 12:01 PM

Considering that the beginning of the vent at the dryer is round, and presumably the termination outside is round, why would you want rectangular in the middle? It's important to keep up he velocity of the air to discharge it and whatever lint gets by the filter mesh.

Eagle One 10-06-2013 03:39 PM

Putting together the solid ducts seems like it would be a pain in the @ss and I am wondering how you ensure no leaks with all the connection points even if you used foil tape. It just seems like a ton of work so when I was in Home Depot yesterday, I spotted an expandable SEMI-RIGID circular duct that seems like it would work well. It says it can go up to 8 ft. I measured about 7.5 feet from the floor to the bottom of the elbow leading outside so I think I can make that work all by itself without additional connections. There are two clamps provided with the duct. I presume that once I clamp the duct, I should use aluminum foil tape around the clamps to make things as airtight as possible??

RoyalAcresRod 10-06-2013 03:50 PM

It's probably not necessary...but wouldn't hurt. I'm assuming you're using the semi-rigid one that sort of looks like, or is aluminum?

Eagle One 10-06-2013 04:28 PM

Yes, it is aluminum. I was originally going to go with full rigid duct but the semi rigid is pretty stiff itself and SHOULD provide good exhaust flow while being so much more convenience in the install. I will just check it for lint build up once a year. I viewed it as an excellent compromise between the minimally required flexible metal foil duct and the full rigid duct. I know full rigid is PROBABLY more efficient but all those connection points really bother me in that they are all potential leak points. With this 8 ft semi rigid duct, I would only have two potential leak points at the clamps.

RoyalAcresRod 10-06-2013 04:32 PM

I've used what you purchased with good results. It's much better than the cheap stuff and provides good airflow

Eagle One 10-06-2013 04:49 PM

Cool. :) Thanks for confirming that.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1