Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

What's the best TOASTER OVEN for general use and ocasional pizza.

I've been very happy with my Black & Decker 14" wide by 9" deep interior toaster oven. Unfortunately I just blew mine out making Tortilla pizza. I'm looking for advise on a more rugged unit to buy.

The problems I've had with Black & Decker Toaster Ovens, is that over time it does not toast evenly, where the top browns faster than then bottom. Unfortunately there is no electrical adjustment to compensate for this and the rack height is also not adjustable. The other problem is that eventually one of the heating elements burns out and there's no way to replace it because they are welded in place.

I use my Toaster oven mainly for making toast, reheating food, and baking an occasional pizza on flour tortillas or english muffins. 14" wide by 9" deep interior is a perfect size for my needs. I think that's considered a "6 slice" model. I would like one that can handle more rugged use such as pizza making. It would be a plus if the heating elements were user serviceable.

No need for fancy electronic controls or any automatic features. Good & accurate temperature control is most important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. There's so many models and brands to choose from, I was hoping people here could advise me based upon their experience with specific units. Do you have a favorite brand or model?
CrimsonAMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Bill Kearney

Best is the Breville 800XL. Hands-DOWN the best one going. Costs a bit more but does a perfect job every-single-time. Pizza up to 13", 6 slices of toast, bagels (even when frozen), reheating... everything. It's capable of working both manually and automatically and, honestly, the automatic features work so well you really don't need to use it any other way.

I've had a variety of cheaper ones, and have watch the B&D units become worse and worse with every new model.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Best is the Breville 800XL. Hands-DOWN the best one going. Costs a bit more but does a perfect job every-single-time. Pizza up to 13", 6 slices of toast, bagels (even when frozen), reheating... everything. It's capable of working both manually and automatically and, honestly, the automatic features work so well you really don't need to use it any other way.

I've had a variety of cheaper ones, and have watch the B&D units become worse and worse with every new model.
I concur. The wife insisted we get one a few years ago, and I was amazed at how perfectly it cooks thing every single time. I can't remember the last time she used our regular oven.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Best is the Breville 800XL.
At $200 it better be.
Their $200 blender gets good grades too.

For comparison... the B&D TO is $30.
An Oster blender is $60

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 09-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
At $200 it better be.

Yeah, I hear ya. I watched for it to go on sale and picked it up for $189. But it really, really is a whole helluva lot better than any others I've used before. It just plain works, properly and quickly, every time, for everything I've cooked in it. It's smart selections for numbers of toast or bagel slices and doneness, pizza sizes and the like get it right, every time. All six slices of toast or bagels are all done the same across the whole grate. Not in patches like most other toaster ovens.

There's also nice little touches like the magnets it has in the door to pull the grate out when you open it. Along with included square and round trays (capable of holding the typical grocery store pizza). That and the grate height has three levels of adjustment for larger items or getting closer to the broiler.

The B&D units are just plain crap these days. Not worth even that low of a price.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
In a little over my head

I don't have one (yet), but my mom and my sister really like their Panasonic toaster ovens. I think this is it:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G.../dp/B008C9UFDI
It costs way more than a B&D, but half of that Breville.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

i have B&D taoster. what a pos. it takes forever to toast anything.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

They still sell toaster ovens? Wow, that's so 1980s.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #9

Thanks all replies!
I bought a Breville BOV800XL after research on this toaster oven site, it's great toaster oven!

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV80.../dp/B001L5TVGW
Old 10-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
I don't have one (yet), but my mom and my sister really like their Panasonic toaster ovens. I think this is it:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G.../dp/B008C9UFDI
It costs way more than a B&D, but half of that Breville.
Thanks for your link! i have checked it, but I bought Breville BOV800XL finally.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Thanks for you tips, I have bought Breville BOV800XL!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
At $200 it better be.
Their $200 blender gets good grades too.

An Oster blender is $60
Yeah, you right, but i want buy a toaster oven for life.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonAMV View Post
Thanks for you tips, I have bought Breville BOV800XL!
Glad to offer helpful advice. A tip, don't bother shelling out for their cutting board accessory, it's over priced. I got one and really don't make use of it. That and you're better off getting multiple cheaper ones. Then you can keep separate ones for raw meats, and dispose (recycle) of them more often. Rather than keeping them around too long and risk a lot of bacteria exposure or cross-contamination.

I find it's convenient to use the top of the toaster oven as a plate warmer on cold mornings. As the toast or bagels are being cooked I stack our breakfast plates on top. Just make sure you're using plates that can be safely exposed to heat, of course!