Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

What's the best 2nd refridgerator?

I want to put one in the garage for beverages & overflow from shopping trips. I prefer not to spend more than $450 or so (less if that's possible) because I'll be re-doing kitchen in 2 years, and will use my current one in garage at that time. Any opinions out there?

Last edited by Colorado Wolf; 11-26-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: unclear title
Colorado Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Put the first one in the garage and upgrade the one in the kitchen...

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by marythewolf@msn.com View Post
I want to put one in the garage for beverages & overflow from shopping trips. I prefer not to spend more than $450 or so (less if that's possible) because I'll be re-doing kitchen in 2 years, and will use my current one in garage at that time. Any opinions out there?
You may not know this - barring air conditioners or heat pumps, your kitchen refrigerator is responsible for approximately 1/2 of your electric bill. The WORST thing in the world a homeowner can do is re-use an old, inefficient refrigerator.

A brand new, energy star refrigerator will cost much less to run and will pay for itself even if it's replacing a model that is only 5 years old.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Thanks so much! I didn't know an older fridge could be so bad energy AND money-wise... great advise.
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
You may not know this - barring air conditioners or heat pumps, your kitchen refrigerator is responsible for approximately 1/2 of your electric bill. The WORST thing in the world a homeowner can do is re-use an old, inefficient refrigerator.

A brand new, energy star refrigerator will cost much less to run and will pay for itself even if it's replacing a model that is only 5 years old.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by marythewolf@msn.com View Post
Thanks so much! I didn't know an older fridge could be so bad energy AND money-wise... great advise.
M
Hi marythewolf!

From time to time, HD and Lowes will have "landlord" sales on slightly damaged major appliances that accumulate over the months in their stores and warehouses. Everything from refrigerators, dryers, washers, dishwashers, freezers, stoves - you name it. Some very serious discounts are offered on them. You may want to check out the stores in your area and chat up the sales person in major appliances to find out when the next sale is scheduled. The stuff is new, just gonged, dented, badly scratched, no box or carton, missing the IB, etc.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:

Interesting... is there a way to reasonably figure out how much power an old refridg is using? Other than just turning it off for one full billing cycle? I have been contemplating replacing my Refrdge for a year or two now.
Southcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

You can get a watt meter from Radio Shack. Whatever you plug in will be recorded. Then, on an electric bill, call customer service and tell them how many watts an appliance is using and they'll tell you what it's costing you per day/month etc.

You could do the math yourself, but many utilities have a rate for the first X amount of Kilowatts, then another rate for additional Kw's, and then taxes and fuel adjustments etc, so it gets complicated.

Ideally, if you must have a 2nd fridge, it should be energy efficient. But people look at their old one and think "It's free." But it costs a lot more to run a refrigerator than it does to buy one. Especially frost-free models which shut down and actually heat up every 12 hours. (This is why cubes in the ice dispenser melt together)

Last edited by LawnGuyLandSparky; 11-29-2007 at 02:44 PM.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #8

Thanks so much--your reply has convinced me to buy a Hotpoint for $429 -- efficient and spacious enough.
M in Boulder
Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
You can get a watt meter from Radio Shack. Whatever you plug in will be recorded. Then, on an electric bill, call customer service and tell them how many watts an appliance is using and they'll tell you what it's costing you per day/month etc.
I hate Radio shack.. they are never any help finding anything. Do you happen to have a link to their website/catalog of what I should be looking for?

Southcross is offline   Reply With Quote