What Pipe Is This? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what pipe is this?

I want to replace my broken electric range with a gas range. When I look through the bottom panel to the wall, I see this:

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/n...ums/what-pipe/

I think (hope) this is a gas supply line - (the pic is on it's side, I couldn't make it upright) . How would I make sure before the Sears guys get here to put the new one in?

Thanks

Advertisement

newdiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

what pipe is this?

looks like a water line for heat. galvanized pipe? plastic shut-off?? you should call a plumber otherwise you're going to have an extra range sitting in your kitchen.

Advertisement

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
DIY Hack

what pipe is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdiyer View Post
I think (hope) this is a gas supply line - (the pic is on it's side, I couldn't make it upright) . How would I make sure before the Sears guys get here to put the new one in?

Thanks
Go into the basement and trace it back to see where it goes. it could be anything

EDIT : Upon further review, it does look like a gas pipe. I just enlarged the thumbnail, it's clearly not a pvc valve as listed above, and not galv pipe, but clearly a gasvalve and probably black pipe that's been painted.

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-31-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
fabrk8r

what pipe is this?

It looks to me like it's an old gas line. There was probably a gas range there at one time.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

what pipe is this?

That's a type of valve typically used at natural gas distribution piping:
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

what pipe is this?

That would be a gas line. As for Sears, they will do nothing with the range, other than remove the old, and just drop the new on the floor and leave. Their liability does not cover hooking up gas lines to appliances. For that, they will tell you to schedule a plumber to hook up your new range.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
fabrk8r

what pipe is this?

Hook up the new gas range yourself. Remove the 1/2" square pipe plug and attach the new flex line between the existing elbow and new range. Use teflon tape and pipe dope approved for NG. Leak check old and new connections with soap bubbles before putting into service.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 292

what pipe is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdiyer View Post
I want to replace my broken electric range with a gas range. When I look through the bottom panel to the wall, I see this:

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/n...ums/what-pipe/

Thanks
Look like a gas line with a 3/4" plug. The gas line's are 3/4" with adapter on the stove's 1" pipe. Make sure and use the right pipe sealer . Not the teflon tape. Now their is a yellow tape for lines. But i would use the pipe dope for gas pipe's Now i am talking about the conector from the pipe at the wall and the adapter that goes on the stove. The conector will be a flaired fitting on both ends to hook up the stove up . May be a flex line? but may be to short. You may have to flair the ends of a copper line. If you don't have or know how to do this . Get someone that does. Don't take a chance on I can do that. As you know a leaking pipe can kill you same as a explosion . do it right chech after with dish soap on all fiting's to see if leaking. soap will boubble. Or their is a leak detector also good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

what pipe is this?

That is definitely a gas pipe. if that "Tee" is in the way, you will have to locate the main gas valve and turn off.. take the nipples and fittings apart until you get to the pipe that is coming up from the floor that has the Tee on it, remove that Tee. use a joint compound rated for gas on the pipe threads and put a 1/2" galvanized Elbow on and tighten, now reinstall all the nipples and fittings back the same way. turn gas back on, use any type of soapy water around all the joints to test for leaks. If you see bubbles you must re due it.
Sears installer should be able to take it from there. good luck

Last edited by rdh4411; 08-31-2010 at 11:19 AM.
rdh4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
fabrk8r

what pipe is this?

The OP is replacing electric range with a new gas range.

Read my replies and you will have no problems. Just make sure to test for leaks before putting into service.

Some people will have a problem with the galvanized elbow on a NG run, but if that's the only fitting that's galvanized there shouldn't be any need for concern.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

what pipe is this?

That is not Galv, that is Black Iron. It is just that the camera made it look like Galv.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

what pipe is this?

And the size of the plug says its 1/2. The shut-off valve is not plastic, looks like cast iron to me.
Kellie Dobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
fabrk8r

what pipe is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Hook up the new gas range yourself. Remove the 1/2" square pipe plug and attach the new flex line between the existing elbow and new range. Use teflon tape and pipe dope approved for NG. Leak check old and new connections with soap bubbles before putting into service.
Does anyone even read these posts?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 292

what pipe is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Does anyone even read these posts?
waist of time That's why i doin't post most of the time . I have hook up so dam many stove's and seen lot's of hook up's . Oh well ????

Advertisement

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote