Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

water in tv

what can i do to fix a 2002 sony 57 inch tv if it got water in it?

danlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

water in tv

well, I guess the trick of putting it into the refrigerator to make use of the dehumidification isn't going to work on something that size.

short of buying a lot of products that use silica gel packs as desiccant and packing the think in a plastic bag with them, I'm out of ideas.

In case that idea sounds workable to you, here is a site (first one I ran across) that sells the stuff

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
the Musigician

water in tv

.....looks too trollish to me to respond.

DM
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

water in tv

If you turned it on already, it's probably game over, if not, just let it sit in a dry area with lot of ventilation for a couple days. Maybe blow a fan over it with a dehumidifier in the same room. If it's a hot room even better, add a heater if you can. MAybe a heater blowing directly on the TV, and just don't bother with the fan. Obviously use proper safety when you set this up so you don't catch your whole house on fire and stuff.

If the water got inside while it was turned on, and the water is what caused it to turn off, then it's probably done for, but may be worth a try anyway.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

water in tv

I agree with red squirrel. We did this with our ref that has been flooded with 2 feet of water for almost half a day. We only turned it on after a few months. Guess what? It's still working.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #6

water in tv

Empty as much water as you can out of it and then try to dry it as quickly as possible. I would really wait a whole week with using hair dryers or fans (forced ventilation) or two weeks just sitting before turning it on.

The faster you can dry it out the better since the more time wet, the greater the chance of corrosion. If you can take the back off easily, do that and then aim the fan at it.

Don't hold a hair dryer too close. You need to have the hot air mix with cool room air before hitting the TV.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-25-2010 at 07:12 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

water in tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlar View Post
what can i do to fix a 2002 sony 57 inch tv if it got water in it?
i have been in tv repair for 50 yrs. You didn't say if you tried to turn it on and it didn't come on ?? If you didn't turn it on don't. Now you can carefull and take the back off . Don't let the back drop down. Now see where the water went or is now. When you find it take a hair dryer and hold it like you are drying hair and tell it is all gone. Only tell it is gone. Now set should come on. But if you tried it before you dried it out. That is not good the water conduct's. Their are lot's of componet's in their. That's about all that i can tell you to do. I have a spray can of IC cleaner that we use to take off the resion after soldering that could be sprayed in their to displace the water. Depend's on how much. The hair dryer and than the spray. But try the hair dryer. good luck

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote