Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Water softener, reverse osmosis, filtration, injection etc. vendors review

I have recently spent quite a lot of time researching and buying various equipment (filtration, water softener, chemical injection, reverse osmosis, etc.) from different on-line stores and wanted to share the experience with these vendors, hopefully, saving money and frustration for others, who would have to deal with similar problems.

Here is a brief summary of vendors, that I bought something from:

• CAI Technologies - The most expensive, but their selection is of the highest quality. More importantly, however, they truly provide 24/7 phone support. (I actually had to call them in the middle of a Saturday night and they were there.) By far, the most knowledgeable and always ready to help. I highly recommend them, if you are willing to spend a little extra money.
  • Ohio Pure Water - The prices are in the middle of the road. The people there are not very knowledgeable, but honest and try their best.
  • Affordable Water - The prices are also in the middle of the road. But the guy has no clue about any of the technical stuff. Tries to sell things that would never work together and insists that they would, referring to some not existent documents. When asked to e-mail them, he never does, of course. But has no issues accepting returns.
  • Budget Water - Appear to be knowledgeable and available for support (at least over IM) most of the time. However, they are interested only in pushing their own products. (For example, if you ask them how to deal with iron in the water, the answer will be that you must buy their proprietary iron system (Terminox)). Not sure how / if they would provide support after a sale is made. Additionally, although the prices are low, they add a huge shipping-and-handling markup.
  • US Water Systems - Good prices. Had no problems with delivery. Did not directly talk to them.
  • Aqua Science - Carry more rare items. Fair price. Had no problems with delivery. Did not directly talk to them.
  • Fresh Water Systems - May have some of the lowest prices. However, they advertise a lot of products as currently available. In reality, only once you have placed an order, you discover that an item is on a back order - for "3-5 days". Which easily turns into months. And by the way, they charge your credit card not when the order is actually shipped, but the very moment you placed it, regardless of whether they actually have or intend to ship the stuff you ordered. The attitude is some of the worst you can come across. Can easily wait on the phone for 30 min to talk to someone there. But as soon as they realize you are not calling to place another order, they just hang up. Never, ever return your e-mails. Technically, have no clue about what they sell or how things work. As I have disovered, they have a long list of complaints at BBB. Have a high rating at Google - do they rate themselves, I wonder? In my experience, regardless of how their prices are, thanks to the ensured subsequent aggravation, I am not buying from them again.

I hope this helps.

breeze01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breeze01 For This Useful Post:
aeaslick (03-08-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Might just be the inflation caused by popularity or demand, but $290 for a 5-stage system I paid ~ $90 for? Look on ebay, much cheaper and from the same companies. I noticed the junk Home Depot sells went up in price too, and when I tried to replace the faucet, the "strength" parts of the ones at Home Depot are plastic while the rest is metal.

Do your homework.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks I was just planning on replacing these things.
dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filtration, reverse osmosis, reviews, vendor, water softener