Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water sofeners/filters

Our tap water is not exactly the most tasty, it has a chemical taste to it, mostly chlorine. I'm thinking of buying one of those water filters that goes under the kitchen sink. How good are those for making the water taste better? Are they worth it?

I've thought of getting a water cooler and just buying the jugs, but it's an annoyance to always have to go to the store to exchange bottles. I'd like something that is pretty much continuous. Right now I'm just buying small jugs at a time, but I find I go through them fairly quick.

Also I had an idea to make it so the water is always cold, I could find a solid tank that can withstand the pressure of the pipe system, then have the filtered water feed that tank, then feed a tap on the counter from that tank, kinda like a hot water heater. The tank would reside in modified bar fridge. Think this would work/be safe? Not sure what kind of tank I could use though, would have to be a pretty strong plastic or metal. Maybe I can even get my hands on one of those small hot water heaters for the tank.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #2

Water sofeners/filters

We have one of these in a mobile home out on the deer lease. These things work great, and they're quiet. Cool, filtered water, hook ups, just plug it in, hook up supply, hook up the return, you're ready to go.

http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/chiller.htm

mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #3

Water sofeners/filters

If a chlorine taste is your only complaint, an activated carbon filter like a Brita will work fine and will be a lot cheaper.

No sense filtering your dishwasher
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Water sofeners/filters

I just bought a house with a Kinetico under-counter filtration system. Quite simply, it's amazing. It's a limitless supply of water that is comparable to Fiji or other high end bottled waters. Ours is also plumbed to the fridge, so the icemaker uses filtered water for ice, and the spout dispenses chilled filtered water as well.

When we were looking at the house for the first time before we bought, I wasn't all that excited about it. Now, I just love it.

You won't be sorry.
Creekbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Water sofeners/filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark! View Post
We have one of these in a mobile home out on the deer lease. These things work great, and they're quiet. Cool, filtered water, hook ups, just plug it in, hook up supply, hook up the return, you're ready to go.

http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/chiller.htm
Hmm that looks quite interesting. How much do those go for? The price shown I think is only for the replacement cartridge.

Though I'm guessing it's quite expensive so I might rig something up if I go that route.

Considering just a Brita type filter too.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Water sofeners/filters

I ended up just getting a standard Brita jug. Seems to take care of the chlorine taste pretty well.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #7

Water sofeners/filters

We use a Brita filter on the faucet in the house, but the water cooler under the sink has always kind of tweaked my interest. Living in Texas, and right off Lake Ray Hubbard away from town, it seems the water is only sort of cool when it gets to us in 100+ degree days, sometimes even lukewarm. The water tower is on the other side of town at the other end of the lake. I'm glad the brita filter helped. For now, I bought two of those brita pitchers you're talking about for chilled water. Hate taking up all that room, guess I'll use that to pitch a new fridge out of the wife, love the french door stainless steel samsung we saw at lowes.
mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Water sofeners/filters

Moved from a country setting with well water to the city in '90, hated this city/chlorine water taste. I bought one of those systems that go under the sink also, big box store, don't remember exact name, has two cartridges, works very well. Cartridges get changed each year about Xmas time, cost around $50, water goes to small faucet at sink for cooking, and icemaker. New subdivisions in this area in last ten years meant city working on main lines and debris in water. Main kitchen faucet, bath faucets stop up with this crap, not the little water dispenser faucet. When anyone asks about water difference, I just give them a glass of water from faucet and dispenser for taste testing. My 2 worth, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote