Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
that little thingie with the wires is a non-resetable safety cut-out. why did it cut-out??? if you don't want to call a plumber, i would at least call the Factory. you may have an un-safe condition.

Thats the piezio ignitor.

naehring2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: phila.
Posts: 504
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


when i said 'thingie' i meant that safety cutout on the burner compartment access door. it's there in case the burner compartment senses overtemp,not enough air flow,etc. when it trips it shuts down everything. -turns out it is resetable, but because it's a saftey device;you have to determine why it tripped. because it's new i wouldn't suspect scale buildup. you should probably post in the plumbing section. in any event you don't want to blow your house up.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 0
Thumbs up

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
When you say unit, are you referring to the house ? If yes, gas is coming to the house since my house heater is working.

If you are asking whether the gas is coming to the water heater or not, I don't know how to check this? Can you please let me know ?
Yes. the "unit" means the hot water heater, in this case. Only way (that I know to check for gas supply is to loosen the union on the supply line, with Two pipe wrenches. I doubt, though if you should undertake this endeavor. It's time to call a plumber or handyman.!
p.s.: Maybe I give up too soon?
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
when i said 'thingie' i meant that safety cutout on the burner compartment access door. it's there in case the burner compartment senses overtemp,not enough air flow,etc. when it trips it shuts down everything. -turns out it is resetable, but because it's a saftey device;you have to determine why it tripped. because it's new i wouldn't suspect scale buildup. you should probably post in the plumbing section. in any event you don't want to blow your house up.
I guess.. this may be the reason.. When we were not getting a good hot water, I rotated thermostat knob all the way to clockwise.. The water was getting overheat.. probably that is what caused the trip..

I don't except scaling because I had a service guy to plush all the water.. and the water was very clean, no traces of scaling.. So I belive the trip is just because of over heat...


How do I reset this ? Any hep ? Is it something that I can do it ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Yes. the "unit" means the hot water heater, in this case. Only way (that I know to check for gas supply is to loosen the union on the supply line, with Two pipe wrenches. I doubt, though if you should undertake this endeavor. It's time to call a plumber or handyman.!
p.s.: Maybe I give up too soon?
Thank you.. As you said, I don't think I would like to do this..

I will try to reset the switch, if I come to know how to do it..

Otherwise, my last resort would be - call a service guy..
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Are you giving it enough time? Pilot lighting instructions usually require that you turn the thermostat to off for five minutes before commencing the pilot lighting sequence. Every time you move the thermostat counterclockwise, you may screw up the timing, and as a safety measure the boiler is not allowing the gas to come on. If you have the manual read it very carefully, and follow the directions precisely and it should light. If you don't have the manual, try calling the manufacturer or checking to see if they have instructions on the website.

If it has a piezo igniter, it may not even have a pilot light, but that is a pig with different lipstick. If it does not have a piezo igniter, than you will need a fireplace match or a barbecue lighter. Even then, lighting the pilot requires the patience of mother theresa combined with the piloting skills of Neal Armstrong. In fact, if he is available, I would try to get his help.
billy_bob_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 0
Wink

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bob_3 View Post
Are you giving it enough time? Pilot lighting instructions usually require that you turn the thermostat to off for five minutes before commencing the pilot lighting sequence. Every time you move the thermostat counterclockwise, you may screw up the timing, and as a safety measure the boiler is not allowing the gas to come on. If you have the manual read it very carefully, and follow the directions precisely and it should light. If you don't have the manual, try calling the manufacturer or checking to see if they have instructions on the website.

If it has a piezo igniter, it may not even have a pilot light, but that is a pig with different lipstick. If it does not have a piezo igniter, than you will need a fireplace match or a barbecue lighter. Even then, lighting the pilot requires the patience of mother theresa combined with the piloting skills of Neal Armstrong. In fact, if he is available, I would try to get his help.
Addressing the Second Paragraph; A regular kitchen match at the tip of a long-nose plier will do the trick. That's what I do when (occasionally) I have to re-light the pilot.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Addressing the Second Paragraph; A regular kitchen match at the tip of a long-nose plier will do the trick. That's what I do when (occasionally) I have to re-light the pilot.!
Hmm - are you sure you are not Neal Armstrong?
billy_bob_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 0
Thumbs up

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bob_3 View Post
Hmm - are you sure you are not Neal Armstrong?
Why?! Because I fly in space. I'm firmly situated on Earth. What I said was, that if everything else checks out and you want to light the pilot of a water heater, ... Well. Why repeat. I think I said it clear enough...!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Addressing the Second Paragraph; A regular kitchen match at the tip of a long-nose plier will do the trick. That's what I do when (occasionally) I have to re-light the pilot.!
Ok. After following the instructions, the pilot light comes off after several attempts of ignition but it does not stay on.

Instructions says - I need to hold the pilot set button for a minute and the pilot light should stay on even after releasing the button.

In my case, as long as I hold the button (almost 2 minutes), the pilot light stays on but the moment I release the button, pilot light goes off..

What would be my next step from here ? Any clue ? Since the pilot light is coming what I conclude is - 1) My ignitor is working and 2)gas is coming to the appliance.. Now what can be wrong here ? what should I be checking next ? Please help.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 0
Thumbs up

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Ok. After following the instructions, the pilot light comes off after several attempts of ignition but it does not stay on.

Instructions says - I need to hold the pilot set button for a minute and the pilot light should stay on even after releasing the button.

In my case, as long as I hold the button (almost 2 minutes), the pilot light stays on but the moment I release the button, pilot light goes off..

What would be my next step from here ? Any clue ? Since the pilot light is coming what I conclude is - 1) My ignitor is working and 2)gas is coming to the appliance.. Now what can be wrong here ? what should I be checking next ? Please help.
If you remember (or you can look it up). In one of the early posts on this thread, I said that even if the pilot (light) lights while you're holding the (Red) button, but doesn't stay on, it's most likely the THERMOCOUPLE. That is a safety device to prevent the gas from the pilot leaking if there is no flame, for any reason. But that device itself can fail. Then the solution is to replace it.
(Sorry. I can't post a drawing how that device works, but I'll try to describe it.)
There is a (bare) Copper wire, where one end is attached to the flame port. The other end is connected to the pilot gas valve. If that wire senses the heat of the flame, it will open the (pilot) gas valve. That's why the requirement to hold the button for one Minute. When you release, the wire should be hot enough to keep the valve open. If it doesn't, that part (The "Thermocouple") should be replaced.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 0
Thumbs up

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
when i said 'thingie' i meant that safety cutout on the burner compartment access door. it's there in case the burner compartment senses overtemp,not enough air flow,etc. when it trips it shuts down everything. -turns out it is resetable, but because it's a saftey device;you have to determine why it tripped. because it's new i wouldn't suspect scale buildup. you should probably post in the plumbing section. in any event you don't want to blow your house up.
That is called a "Spill Switch". It "Locks Out" the burner when it senses carbon Monoxide, due to a blocked (exhaust) vent or chimney. !

Last edited by spark plug; 02-12-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added letter/word (a) for clarity!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 336
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
If you remember (or you can look it up). In one of the early posts on this thread, I said that even if the pilot (light) lights while you're holding the (Red) button, but doesn't stay on, it's most likely the THERMOCOUPLE. That is a safety device to prevent the gas from the pilot leaking if there is no flame, for any reason. But that device itself can fail. Then the solution is to replace it.
(Sorry. I can't post a drawing how that device works, but I'll try to describe it.)
There is a (bare) Copper wire, where one end is attached to the flame port. The other end is connected to the pilot gas valve. If that wire senses the heat of the flame, it will open the (pilot) gas valve. That's why the requirement to hold the button for one Minute. When you release, the wire should be hot enough to keep the valve open. If it doesn't, that part (The "Thermocouple") should be replaced.!
I pulled out thermocouple and planned to replace tomrrow with a new one.. Hopefully this works..
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
Chaz
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northwoods of Maine
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
when i said 'thingie' i meant that safety cutout on the burner compartment access door.
YO. "Seperated by a common language" . Hmmm, where have I heard that before.

Have ya' dug out yet?

If you come up to Maine again, you should write and I'll take you fishing on Moosehead Lake. I live on it.
CallMeChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Chaz
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northwoods of Maine
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Water heater (Gas) not working


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
I pulled out thermocouple and planned to replace tomrrow with a new one.. Hopefully this works..
Hey, were you able to replace it? That should have solved it, unless you have a bad connection in your thermocouple circuit.

Depending on how it's wired, you may be able to jump past the thermocouple safety just to verify that the pilot stays lit. If memory serves, it's more of a mechanical thermocouple on gas units, and you may not be able to "fool" it. Anyways, you can't leave it that way--just long enough to test it.

CallMeChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Water Heater GTSRider Plumbing 31 12-07-2008 11:30 AM
Installing a Tankless Water Heater infoiam Plumbing 4 11-10-2008 09:59 PM
(Water Heater MYSTERY) Hot water out from dead tank with cold water in it? Inayity Plumbing 6 07-14-2008 08:36 PM
"sticky" gas water heater thermostat homer12 Appliances 8 01-25-2008 04:36 PM
"sticky" gas water heater thermostat homer12 HVAC 7 01-22-2008 06:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.