Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Washing machine won't wring out clothes properly

We recently bought a used Kenmore Series 80 washing machine that functions fine except for one thing - the spin cycle doesn't really seem to do an effective job of wringing out the clothes once everything is finished. It certainly spins - I opened it up to check - but for some reason the clothes are still coming out so wet that we either have to wring them out by hand or put them through the dryer for 2 - 3 cycles to dry them out.

I've opened it up during the spin cycle to see if there was waster pooled up in the bottom, which might have indicated that the pump isn't working effectively at getting all the water out, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any idea what I should look for? We'd like to return it but the guy we bought it from is giving us static, so we're at the point of tossing the thing and just biting the bullet and buying a new unit unless I can solve this issue myself.

Thanks

timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 542

Sounds like it's not spinning fast enough. Do a search for Kenmore Series 80 slow spin / low torque. Hopefully that helps.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Sounds like a worn out clutch. Google Kenmore 80 series clutch. videos, part numbers etc are easily found. I did this once for my mom's old kenmore. Somewhat labor intensive, but parts are not that expensive, and her washer ran another 10 years. Good solid machines worth fixing.
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Okay, so this clutch is responsible for the spin cycle and is slipping - not causing enough speed in the revolutions?

I've fixed dryers before but not washing machines - is this easy enough to do? Can I get at it from underneath, or do I have to remove the bowl?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

clutch is probably slipping. Disconnect it, lay it on its back side. Look for any transmission oil that may have gotten onto the clutch lining, if so just clean it up and go. If no oil you will need to replace the clutch. About a $150.00 repair for a service company, its not really a hard job but you may want to read up a little on it before you attempt it yourself.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #6

Yeah,I just watched a video clip on the job for replacing the clutch - it doesn't look that hard. So I'll take the advice to check for oil, and if that's not the problem I'll order in the new clutch assembly. Says online that I can get if for around $38 - cheaper then getting a new washer! I just hope that the clutch is definitely the issue and that I don't end up wasting the time and money.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.