Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Washing machine recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a reliable washing machine with low water usage?

diyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
custom user

Take a look at the Samsung front loader. I've been very happy with mine, runs quiet and doesn't use much water. Typically, the front loaders use less water and are more efficient. The disadvantage is you can't wait too long after the start of the cycle to add stuff.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

top load machines are water hogs but if your going to go this way, go old school. Speed Queen
front loaders use about 65% less water than top loaders. Improvements over the last 5 years have resulted in much better machines now but they are still typically problem prone machines. Do NOT spend the extra money for the bells and whistles, it is a complete waste of money and just adds to the potential for more break downs. That being said I myself am impressed with Samsung laundry products, Whirlpools are getting better all the time. Do not like anything from Frigidaire, LG or even GE, also Kenmores unless you can verify the manufacturer.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

It just blows me away that everytime I go in HD or Lowes there's almost all ways a young couple that just built a house looking at washer and dryers.
The wife is trying to justify buying one of the $1400.00 bohemoth washing machines. One even had a phone line attached that could call for service.

All I could see was more stuff to break and money spent that could have gone toward something that would add value to the house.
My old Maytag is going on 20 years old and still has not had a single repair.

One feature I would pay a little extra for is a stainless steel drum.
Once the porcelain or enamel chips, rusting is sure to follow that will stain your clothes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
custom user

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
One feature I would pay a little extra for is a stainless steel drum.
Once the porcelain or enamel chips, rusting is sure to follow that will stain your clothes.
That was one of the reasons I went with the Samsung set compared to others in the price range.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

" a phone line attached that could call for service." That's gotta tell you something about the dependability of the thing, if manufacturer thinks it needs to be that handy.
Now, if it would automatically call, without me having to even know there was sumthin wrong, that'd be worth havin. If it checked the warranty first, if it had lapsed two days ago it should call me. Better yet it should call service company just B4 lapse with some mysterious complaint that requires complete break down and rebuild just to determine cause.
First time I saw those huge glamorous high tech lookin things, I thought, "Will wonders never cease? Home Depot sells time machines now."
diyrocks, if you go over to library they have copies of Consumer Reports, they do an anual report on washers and have yearly digest of all comparisons. Not Consumer Digest, which takes ads from from products they review. Not sayin that would bias them, but if a man buys you a meal, you don't complain about the chili.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #7

I've heard about a mildew problem with all front-loaders. Is that true?

I've read that Miele and Siemens/Bosch are good. Would you guys agree?
diyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
custom user

That's possible. I don't have that problem because I don't close the door all the way. It says cracked open, looks closed but isn't sealed shut. It just seemed like a common sense thing to do, I don't know what would happen otherwise.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrocks View Post
I've heard about a mildew problem with all front-loaders. Is that true?

I've read that Miele and Siemens/Bosch are good. Would you guys agree?
The Maytag neptune from 10-15 yrs ago had serious problem (and CLass action lawsuit) with the mildew problem. They added drain holes in the seal to minimize the mildew problem but not completely eliminate.

Simple logic, if water stay on the seal (which any front loader washer will)of a period of time, it will cause mildew....simple solution, wipte it dry when after every load.

Front vs Top.... Front loader cost more and more prone to breakdown(IMHO). Mainly because they spin at much higher speed and the seal issue (Mildew and. too heavy a load) However, the operating cost is lower (less water, more efficient) and the main saving is in your dryer, Clocthes coming out of front loader is so much dryer than top load washer.

Any Top loader will last your 25 yrs. Front loader probably 15-18 yrs. again IMHO, YMMV. Good luck with your decision!
awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd View Post
+

Any Top loader will last your 25 yrs. Front loader probably 15-18 yrs. again IMHO, YMMV. Good luck with your decision!
In what world? Todays machines you'll be very lucky to get 10 -12 years tops with top loaders and the verdict is still out on the front loaders. I've replaced and worked on far more front load machines after only a few years use.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

yes, mold can be an issue with any front loader but a little maintenance and attention will go a long ways in preventing it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
In what world? Todays machines you'll be very lucky to get 10 -12 years tops with top loaders and the verdict is still out on the front loaders. I've replaced and worked on far more front load machines after only a few years use.
it all depend on your definition on how long the washer last? If you;re talking abt No fixing/replacing wear and tear item, then nothing gonna last 25 yrs....

I don;t consider replacing a belt, a seal bellow as an end of life for a washer...again, YMMV or in this case, Your definition may vary!

awd is offline   Reply With Quote