Washing Machine Faucet Leaking - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Washing Machine Faucet Leaking

We have had very cold weather lately. When turning on the washer- no water came out. Assuming there was something frozen, we put a space heater in the laundry room for a day, then the washer turned on and water came out. However- I see that the faucet (in the box on the wall behind the machine) is leaking. Not very much- but when i dry it up, it immediately drips again. What should be my next step? ALSO- is it safe to continue using my washer while this is leaking?

Advertisement

djods65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

There's at least 3, different style valves it could be, got a picture. web site with one?
It may have also cracked the valve itself, when it expanded, look it over close to see where the leak is coming from.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

Here is a photo of the faucets. thanks!
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

#1 Get rid of those old style rubber hoses and replace with stainless steel braided hoses.
Those rubber hoses can burst. Any dryer hose should be changed every 5 years.
There one of the more common insurance claims.
So where it leaking? Under the handles, where the hoses connect?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

ok- we are in a snowstorm and frigid temps coming- so if i can delay a plumber repair - that would be best- but would like to know what i can to do fix this or to get thru until i can call a plumber. (could be a week or so)
The best way i can describe where the leak is occurring is - it is dripping down from under where the hose attaches to the stem(?).
Is it ok for me to continue using the machine today until I get this professionally looked at?
I would like to get all the laundry done before this deep freeze sets in (expected tonite thru Thursday- below zero temps)
Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by djods65 View Post
The best way i can describe where the leak is occurring is - it is dripping down from under where the hose attaches to the stem(?).
Is it ok for me to continue using the machine today until I get this professionally looked at?
I would like to get all the laundry done before this deep freeze sets in (expected tonite thru Thursday- below zero temps)
Thanks for your advice!
Joe, hard to tell by the picture, but could it be that the hose may just need tightening? Sometimes I have disconnected them, checked the washer, and reconnected them, and it stops the drip.

Also recommend what Joe said about those rubber hoses. Time to replace with the steel braided ones.

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak faucet cold weather