Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post

I feel bad that you have invested all that money and still no results. It has to be very frustrating. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
Thanks for the heads up!! And thanks for the kind words.. I'll see if that leads anywhere.. My current strategy is going to be to cut a small hole in the wall, install a P-trap on the clean-out on the garage wall, and then roll with that setup for a while.. Yes, it has been very annoying only to find after $300, I'm still where I started.. My poor wife is even worse off than me, dealing with the intermittent performance.. Guess I'll be lobbying consumer reports to publish pump performance results. Wish they would publish actual data, not just colored circles.

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zootjeff For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 69
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Verify the unit is level?
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by bilug View Post
Verify the unit is level?
Yes the unit is level I have played with leveling and that's not the issue.

It really sounds like the pump is churning air with my head at cleanout section of the pump and just not able to create enough force to drain the water and sometimes it snaps out of it and sometimes it just struggles for 15 minutes and throws the code it doesn't matter if there's 1 inch or 2 inches in the tub. gravity is not the issue is if the pumps not running the water completely goes the lowest point where the where the pump is. It is a brand new pump. The lines are completely free and water freely flows out if I open up the clean out all the water comes out..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Rob
 
Robpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Spring Creek NV
Posts: 865
Rewards Points: 20
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Yes the unit is level I have played with leveling and that's not the issue.

It really sounds like the pump is churning air with my head at cleanout section of the pump and just not able to create enough force to drain the water and sometimes it snaps out of it and sometimes it just struggles for 15 minutes and throws the code it doesn't matter if there's 1 inch or 2 inches in the tub. gravity is not the issue is if the pumps not running the water completely goes the lowest point where the where the pump is. It is a brand new pump. The lines are completely free and water freely flows out if I open up the clean out all the water comes out..
Not sure if you said you checked the water lines for cracks or bad connections where it could be sucking air when it gets low on water.
Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,169
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Confirm the impeller is tight on the shaft, assuming that's the type of pump it is. Just because it's a new pump doesn't mean anything.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Look behind the wall to the right there and see if there is a vent off the other side of the trap. I can't tell from the picture you've posted. It looks like you went to the trouble of exposing the drain pipe so make sure there is a vent in there. That could possibly cause a No drain error code if it is backing up. And no, your drain is not too high off the ground and I doubt the height of the trap off the floor would have any bearing on the problem either.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Look behind the wall to the right there and see if there is a vent off the other side of the trap. I can't tell from the picture you've posted. It looks like you went to the trouble of exposing the drain pipe so make sure there is a vent in there. That could possibly cause a No drain error code if it is backing up. And no, your drain is not too high off the ground and I doubt the height of the trap off the floor would have any bearing on the problem either.
Yes the house is plumbed correctly, the vent is just to the right of the trap..
If the water backed up high enough to stop the drain, I'd have a huge flood..
Pretty sure the pump is just a poor design and churns air..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 69
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


You've probably already googled around for solutions but I found this:

Go to the water pressure switch line. Pull the hose off the pressure switch and blow into the rubber hose, NOT THE SWITCH!!!! What's happening is that there is some suds residue inside the hose and is air locking the pressure switch. Once blown out, it should work as normal.
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by bilug View Post
You've probably already googled around for solutions but I found this:

Go to the water pressure switch line. Pull the hose off the pressure switch and blow into the rubber hose, NOT THE SWITCH!!!! What's happening is that there is some suds residue inside the hose and is air locking the pressure switch. Once blown out, it should work as normal.
Yaa, I tried this, I even replaced the sensor.. Not the problem. This would be the case if it wasn't sensing the water level correctly, But it is. It sees 1" of water in the tub. Runs the pump to get it out. Nothing happens while the pump tries for 15 minutes to get the water out. Throws the code.

I want to try to swap out the pump with a different design..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Yaa, I tried this, I even replaced the sensor.. Not the problem. This would be the case if it wasn't sensing the water level correctly, But it is. It sees 1" of water in the tub. Runs the pump to get it out. Nothing happens while the pump tries for 15 minutes to get the water out. Throws the code.

I want to try to swap out the pump with a different design..
OK, so I moved the washer into the Garage to make room for another unit that comes tomorrow.. So far it works ok in the Garage. It appears that leaning forward a bit is helping the pumping process. If this fixes my problem, I'll be thrilled. However I'll still be pissed that "make sure your washer is level" really means "makes sure you tilt it forward so that water drains to the pump and air bubbles drain away.." My washer was perfectly level..

I'll keep ya posted.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zootjeff For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
OK, so I moved the washer into the Garage to make room for another unit that comes tomorrow.. So far it works ok in the Garage. It appears that leaning forward a bit is helping the pumping process. If this fixes my problem, I'll be thrilled. However I'll still be pissed that "make sure your washer is level" really means "makes sure you tilt it forward so that water drains to the pump and air bubbles drain away.." My washer was perfectly level..

I'll keep ya posted.
Nope, It worked ok for 4 loads but after the 4th load it finished the cycle with soaking wet clothes. Then I tried to run a drain and spin cycle and it threw the nd code!! ARG.

Does anyone know if there is a technical service bulletin for an improved pump assembly on the Wf338AA washer?
Model: WF338AAW/XAA
Serial: W03F54AQ800196T 2008.08

-Jeff
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


This washer has a water level pressure switch used to shut off water when level is reached. It may also tell pump the tub is drained or not.
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 401
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Washing Machine Drain Stumper


Quote:
Originally Posted by jehiatt View Post
This washer has a water level pressure switch used to shut off water when level is reached. It may also tell pump the tub is drained or not.
I have blown out the level sensor hose and replaced the sensor. No change, and the sensor is working correctly. The pump runs for 15 minutes because it sees water it needs to pump out.. The pump just sucks and can't reliably pump the water out. Maybe my replacement pump also is weak? Hard to believe that is the issues because they both behave the same way..

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
washing machine drain pipe over flowing peskygnat Appliances 2 09-30-2012 06:56 PM
Washing machine drain 61971levy Plumbing 1 07-11-2012 12:53 PM
Building a Washing Machine Drain Pan wiz561 General DIY Discussions 8 04-03-2011 02:51 PM
Patching into existing drain with washing machine Kimball72 Plumbing 5 02-01-2009 04:28 PM
Washing Machine Drain mqcarpenter Plumbing 3 11-20-2008 07:47 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.