Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Washing machine in basement.

Want to install a washing machine in my basement. Originally I was planning on tapping into my home plumbing (I have low line plumbing) but decided it would be better to run the waste into a dry well made of a couple of 55 gal. drums. I've read in a couple of places that the pumps on most washing machines are not designed to pump the waste up. Is this true? What would be the best way to handle getting the water up the 8 or so feet up and 20 or so feet out to the dry well. I'm assuming I need a trap and it needs to be vented? What happens to the water in the upward part of the system? Does it flow back into the washing machine when the pump stops? Thanks for any design / configuration tips you can give.

jimx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Why not run it into the existing plumbing? A drywell/sump pit will have to have a pump to pump it into the waste line anyway.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik
Why not run it into the existing plumbing? A drywell/sump pit will have to have a pump to pump it into the waste line anyway.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I want to not discharge the washing machine waste water into my septic system. I want to bury two 55 gal drums at grade (totally separate from the septic system) and dispose of the washing machine water there.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #4

You need a sewage ejector. Search for it online and it will explain how it works. I would question discharging the water into drums, but it's not my house.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
jimx (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

Why no drums? I'm open to opinions.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Devil Dog

Those 55 gal. drums will rust out faster than you think, especially below grade. I'd suggest you look into a storm water leaching system that can be purchased at Lowes or H.D. costs $73.46...run a pipe to it and the discharge will disperse below the surface.
handyman_20772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

At first I was against dumping the water straight into the ground. However I now recall seeing a gray water irrigation system on Ask TOH. The system diverted the washing machine discharge to a storage tank for later use on plants. I suppose if you really want to keep the water out of your septic system, there's no harm. I think you can get drums made out of plastic.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
bbo

is that ok to do in your locality? big no no here to eject waste water anywhere other than the sanitary sewer system.

i think the grey water systems are a great idea myself.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #9

All sewage here goes right into the ground so I'm pretty sure that's ok. I'll definitely look into a grey water system. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimx View Post
All sewage here goes right into the ground so I'm pretty sure that's ok. I'll definitely look into a grey water system. Thanks.
Im guessing by your statement you have a septic system since you say all sewage goes into the ground. If you are on well water be careful how close you place it to your well. In my area if you have sewer available what you are purposing to do is a big no no.

grizzzlle is offline   Reply With Quote