Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

Washing Mach. Amps

OK. here is what i have..brand new whirlpool washer,motor will not spin very fast, it spins but not near the speed it should.so the repair guys came and said not enough amps for washer.i have a 100 amp service soon to be upgraded,circuit is on 20 amp breaker, no other equip other than lights are on.i put a tester in the outlet, blinking red light stating defective ground.checked polarity, that is good.house is 2 wire system,so i ground green screw to copper wtr line behind wash, still the same results.any and all help will be great.... thanks in advance.... brian

FORDFAN006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Dorf dude...

Washing Mach. Amps

What is the voltage while the machine is running? The guage of wire might be too small for the load.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Washing Mach. Amps

Also your water line at the washer is not likely grounded to the electrical panel or your tester should show this. Not all copper lines are! If it is not too far from the panel (as some utility rooms are) you might want to consider a direct line from the panel to that washer.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #4

Washing Mach. Amps

voltage is 115-120.wire is 12-2.it doesnt make sense, the motor just want spin fast, at all....how many amps do you think the motor is?i couldnt see the spec plate.the manual says 20 amp circuit is ok.also how can i find the defective ground?does it mean a wire is broke, or crossed? thanks brian
Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Eibwen

Washing Mach. Amps

20 Amp would be normal for a washer circuit...

You would need an amp meter to check the actual amperage.

Defective ground shouldnt keep the motor from running.

But you say this is a brand spanky new washer? I assume there was a washer there before then.

Did it operate o.k.?

Keep in mind it could be something actually wrong with the new washer that was not diagnosed by the repair guy.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Washing Mach. Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Keep in mind it could be something actually wrong with the new washer that was not diagnosed by the repair guy.
that's my bet.

If the thing requires a 20 amp circuit, which you have, and NEC requires #12 on a 20 amp circuit "not enough amps" is not an acceptable answer.. Unless there is a problem with the circuit itself, there should be no voltage drop problems that would cause a speed problem but if there were, as a result, the current would increase which the "techs" should have checked.

Call the folks back and tell them you want somebody that that knows a little bit about electricity before they start condemning your service without checking anything. (this is presuming they gave you an "off the cuff" answer and did not really take any measurements to qualify their answer.)

If they did take some measurements, let us know what they found and we can deal with that.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #7

Washing Mach. Amps

OK..its is a brand new one, its my aunts house.here is what she told me,,, this is the second new washer,the first one did the same thing,so they thought it could be bad,they bring in another does the same thing,so he puts a meter(not sure what kind she did not ask) on the cord i assume,hes only 77 i need 100 not sur what it means it cant be amps..do you suggest i call for another service call and get some different and write down the problem? thanks brian
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Washing Mach. Amps

Probably volts. The amp rating of the circuit, is the max before tripping the breaker, or blowing the fuse. If the tech is getting 77volts off of the line, then your Aunt needs to have an Electrician come in and check things out.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #9

Washing Mach. Amps

any suggestions on the defective ground, when i check it with polarity tester it says defective ground.anyone have an idea, how to fix it thanks.....
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Eibwen

Washing Mach. Amps

Just brainstorming but....

Is there another 20 amp circuit in the house you could test the washer on?

Or maybe move it to a neighbors house to test it?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Washing Mach. Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDFAN006 View Post
OK..its is a brand new one, its my aunts house.here is what she told me,,, this is the second new washer,the first one did the same thing,so they thought it could be bad,they bring in another does the same thing,so he puts a meter(not sure what kind she did not ask) on the cord i assume,hes only 77 i need 100 not sur what it means it cant be amps..do you suggest i call for another service call and get some different and write down the problem? thanks brian
there you are. No way was he speaking of amps.

You have a voltage drop problem for some reason. Could be several things. If you are not electrically inclined, I would get an electrician to check it out.
If you are electrically inclined, let us know and somebody can give you some areas to check.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Washing Mach. Amps

Having 77v and needing 120v is like having a dimmer on a lamp- much different expectation than at full power. If the entrance panel is close, it might be worth having a new line run for the washer. You get a good ground and full power as long as the panel isn't having any problems.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #13

Washing Mach. Amps

thanks for all the responses, i am electrically inclined.we have tried other outlets and same results.tester says the same thing, defective ground...this week end i will be installing new panel and mtr socket for 200 amp service.the house now is only 100 amps 2 wire.do you think with it being old 2 wire system that would cause the problem.one other thing, i dont want to leave the house with no power while waiting for power company and inspector to check new box, so should i wire the old panel in to the new box with a 100 amp breaker., and then switch over.. thanks again , brian
Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Washing Mach. Amps

If it already has 100amp service. Changing out the Fuse panel to a Circuit breaker panel, and running new wire would help. And wiring the old panel into a 100 amp breaker is not going to solve anything until the Electrician gets there.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Washing Mach. Amps

Quote:
[.we have tried other outlets and same results
Sounds like you may have a problem that is out of your hands but no way to tell from here for sure. If you are having low voltage throughout the house, you should not actually be using any electricity as it can damage many things.

Quote:
defective ground...
If your entire house is only 2 wire circuits, you will always show a defective ground for the simple fact....you don;t have a ground at the receps.

Quote:
this week end i will be installing new panel and mtr socket for 200 amp service.the house now is only 100 amps 2 wire.do you think with it being old 2 wire system that would cause the problem.
No

Quote:
one other thing, i dont want to leave the house with no power while waiting for power company and inspector to check new box, so should i wire the old panel in to the new box with a 100 amp breaker., and then switch over..
Well, an upgrade like this requires a new service feeder and most likely a new meter base, so what you should be doing is installing the new panel with the service feeder and meter base, bonding to the groundein electrode system and letting the inspector take a look at that. They can energice the panel after that and if you have done thing with some forethought, you can have the subpanel feeder in place so you can hot the old panel from the new one and then change the circuits at your leisure.

This may not take care of your problem though as it may have nothing to do with what you are replacing. (actually I doubt this will change anything with your problems.

This will also not give you a ground at the receps and the inspector may require you upgrade this aspect with a service change.

I am guessing you do not have a volt meter. You need one. You need to check the voltage at the panel to see if you have correct voltage at that point. If you do, then you need to check all the connections form their to the washer recep for loose or failing connections.

If you have low voltage at the panel, call the power company to check out their equipment.