DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Appliances (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/)
-   -   "Ventless" Gas Fireplace (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/ventless-gas-fireplace-11252/)

handy man88 09-03-2007 09:35 PM

"Ventless" Gas Fireplace
 
I have a home that has a vented gas fireplace (large contraption on the exterior of my house where the fireplace is located), but have been visiting homes on the market where one had a "ventless" gas fireplace. Does anyone know anything about these? Where do the gas fumes go? Also, this gas fireplace didn't have a blower to blow the hot air into the room.

slakker 09-04-2007 01:09 AM

Never heard of these things except for the electrical "fake" fire type... if there is combustion, a vent will be needed...

rjordan392 09-04-2007 05:13 AM

Stay away from any gas heaters that do not have a vent. Even when they operate properly with no sign of carbon monoxide, they can fill your house with carbon dioxide many times the outdoor concentration. This disturbs the natural concentration of the air and is not healthy.

handy man88 09-04-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan392 (Post 61209)
Stay away from any gas heaters that do not have a vent. Even when they operate properly with no sign of carbon monoxide, they can fill your house with carbon dioxide many times the outdoor concentration. This disturbs the natural concentration of the air and is not healthy.

Ouch, would a builder put in a ventless gas fireplace because it's cheaper than a vented one?

I know what you mean about carbon dioxide. One can become asphyxiated if the % of oxygen in the air drops below normal.

JGarth 09-04-2007 10:18 AM

Not carbon dioxide...
Carbon Monoxide....

rjordan392 09-04-2007 11:15 AM

jgarth,
No, again Carbon Dioxide. Its carbon monoxide that occurs when gas appliances do not function properly. But Carbon Dioxide is a product of all combustion. There is approximatly 340 parts per million concentration in the outside air. The use of a ventless gas heater in a well sealed home would increase this concentration many times over. This can still displace oxygen and get you sick and can possibly cause death in concentrations of 20,000 ppm.
When you read the instructions on ventless gas heaters, theres always instructions to provide plenty of fresh air because the lack of sufficient oxygen will cause carbon monoxide to form.

So it basically works like this:
Carbon dioxide is always being formed as a part of combustion. When a lot of it accumulates and sufficient oxygen still exists, then people can get ill just from that alone. But when the oxygen level is insufficient to support combustion properly, then thats where the more important danger lies and carbon monoxide forms.

Keyo77 10-03-2007 08:25 PM

I have a ventless gas fireplace in the condo I rent and I refuse to use it. Within minutes a strong gas smell permeates the house. I just cannot believe it is safe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved