Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Variables for in sink disposals

Hey - general question here on in sink disposals... I ripped out the kitchen a couple months ago, saved the disposal knowing I wanted to get a new one, but to compare stats on when buying so I knew what would fit, etc., and it go thrown out along the way.

A few questions as I begin to shop:
- Are all sink drains uniform? IE, unless I'm going custom, is it safe to assume all disposals will fit in all sinks?
- Horsepower: I've seen 1/2 HP and 3/4 HP - this is in a 2BR condo, not a huge family cooking 3 meals a day... 1/2 HP fine?
- Cabinet space: I've seen ISE standard and ISE compact... stnadard empty cabinet under the sink... OK with standard I assume?
- Power: direct wiring I assume.
- Plumbing: will all have a hookup for dishwasher output? My old one did, so is this something to specifically look for?

Thanks, Levi

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Variables for in sink disposals

disp has standard 1- 1/2" drain have to look and see if rest of your drain is that size or you'll need an adapter at trap. standard size- 1/2 hp ISE is fine. direct wire if you don't have receptacle under sink. there's a knockout on disposer for d/w drain hookup-do it before you install disp....if you turn water and disp on AND then push food through and/or also put chicken type bones or ice cubes [something hard] on occasion, you won't be prone to jams.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disposal