Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |

Using a built-in dishwasher as a stand alone

We were recently given a built-in dishwasher that we would like to install, but our kitchen is far too small, and we currently don't have the means to re-do our cabinets to accomodate the built-in dishwasher. I've read that it is possible to use the built-in dishwasher as a freestanding or stand alone dishwasher. So my questions are:

1. Is that true?
2. If true, HOW would I go about converting the built-in dishwasher to a freestanding one?

Thanks!

sassy_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would need to build a cabinet that you could roll around, and would have to get the connection kit for the hoses, that allows it to connect to the faucet, then also install a cord that would allow you to connect it to an outlet, when needed. If you own the place, taking out a wall like we did, to expand our Kitchen into the dining, allowed us to move the fridge over, so the portable dish washer could sit between the sink and fridge.

If renting, you could still run into an issue of no space to place the unit, when not in use.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

Sorry, I think I may have miscommunicated what I wanted to do. Basically, I want to take my built-in dishwasher, and instead of placing it under the countertop by my sink, I want to have it sit in a different part of my kitchen. I don't want to have to hook it up to the faucet every time I run it. I would like it to sit as a stand alone appliance, but have it run like a built-in dishwasher as opposed to a freestanding/stand alone dishwasher. Could I just buy extension tubes or something?
sassy_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_texas View Post
Sorry, I think I may have miscommunicated what I wanted to do. Basically, I want to take my built-in dishwasher, and instead of placing it under the countertop by my sink, I want to have it sit in a different part of my kitchen. I don't want to have to hook it up to the faucet every time I run it. I would like it to sit as a stand alone appliance, but have it run like a built-in dishwasher as opposed to a freestanding/stand alone dishwasher. Could I just buy extension tubes or something?
What part of what I stated, is it that you do not understand? You just cannot take the machine out from the under the cabinet, and let it just sit there doing nothing. What would be the reason in that.

There is a reason why they make portable dishwasher units, so you do not have to buy a base cabinet or make a frame that the under counter unit will fit into, and then have to buy the parts to make the under cabinet unit able to hook up to the hot water line, and then you have to figure out a way to plumb it into the waste line, and vent.

It just becomes too much work to create a unit that would sit away from the sink & waste/water lines inside the base cabinet, but could be done, if you know what you are doing.

Just easier to leave it where it is, or get a portable unit as I stated before.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 04-15-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Changed around things.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

you can not use a built in dishwasher as a "stand alone". As greg said you will need some sort of cabinet around it as it will not stand on its own without tipping over. Then you would have to plumb it and wire it.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
I've read that it is possible to use the built-in dishwasher as a freestanding or stand alone dishwasher.
I recommend that you change your reading sources.

Can it be done? Sure! Is it practical? No.
davido30093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
you can not use a built in dishwasher as a "stand alone". As greg said you will need some sort of cabinet around it as it will not stand on its own without tipping over. Then you would have to plumb it and wire it.

Mine stood on its own, when I removed it...
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Mine stood on its own, when I removed it...
did it stay upright when you opened the door. Did it stay upright when you pulled out the dish rack?

Tags
built-in dishwasher, converting, dishwasher, freestanding dishwasher, installation