Thinking About Installing A Dishwasher - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Thinking about installing a dishwasher

Hello all. My wife and I are in the middle of a kitchen remodel (started as a repaint like they usually do) and discovered that the refridgerator is leaking water all over the floor behind it. Funny thing is that the thing doesn't have an icemaker . Upon doing some searching and figuring out the drain tube wasn't plugged it seems somewhere a gasket is gone inside or the case is rusting through. Unit was built in 1985 so probiably not even worth getting a repairman to come out and look at it. Knowing the age of everything else figured it was probiably time to give thought to changing out the stove as well.

Well, wife wants a dishwasher and this old house doesn't have a dishwasher and I'd love to get that nagging sound outta my head. I have an idea of what to do but wanted to run it by you fine folks and see what you thought. I'm "ok" as far as making toy boxes and such and figured I could build an extension off the current cabinet to retain the drawers and such and build a cubby for the dishwasher. Being my wife is painting the cabinets (already painted before) I could probiably make a small oops and nobody would be the wiser on the addition.

Dishwasher size recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated. Kinda would like to put in a 24" but space could be an issue, how usuable is a 18" dishwasher?

Plus have questions about how you recommend electrical hookups. Don't have a problem running the circuit from the breaker box (1-20 amp) just curious on if you guys attach a flexable cord or if you run hardwire (NM) from a knockout in a box cover to the splice box on the dishwasher or how you recommend doing it. First time putting in one so gotta ask.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

Jason

Advertisement

kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Thinking about installing a dishwasher

a standard d/w fits a 24" opening. [18" d/w are $$ and very limiting]. you can then put a 12" cabin't and a filler piece to fit that opening. i assume you're going to replace the countertop. you have to hard wire it in on it's own ckt bkr. don't forget you need a drain for d/w either through disposer or a tee on sink drain and water line and shut off valve under sink [new plumbling req]?? i think when you're finished you'll have a new kitchen-$$$$$$-time to move??

Advertisement

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote